does anyone change batter at a set TIME??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like after 3 or 3 1/2 years?
my toyotas the oem, came with the car new batteries they last about 5 years , the aftermarket ones last 3 1/2 years or there about.

thinking about just replacing at 3 1/2 or a little more.

I listened to a car talk radio program this morning based out of Detroit. They recommend replacement right at 3.5 years. Plus they said something along the lines of, you can't replace them too soon, only too late. The heat down south is probably even tougher on batteries. So 3.5 sounds about right. Although I'm on 5 years for the cheap Rural King Exide battery I bought for $55.

I replace when they show signs of giving up. Since we don't have cold weather down here too much I can usually eek enough time for me to find a replacement that is to my liking and not the first battery I can get.

I had to replace mine last week. Had it in there for 12 years.

I was chasing a parasitic drain, but turned out to be the battery.

Spend an extra 5 seconds with a multimeter, when changing your oil, will tell you your battery condition. I dont change batteries at preset intervals if it's not necessary.

My truck will do a second bulb after starting when the batteries get low. So the parking brake light and the abs light will come back on and go out.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I replace when they show signs of giving up. Since we don't have cold weather down here too much I can usually eek enough time for me to find a replacement that is to my liking and not the first battery I can get.

Kind of what I do . Although around 4 years is the guess .

If it sounds a little weak , cranking in the summer / fall , replace it before winter .

Best of luck , :)

Replaced the battery in my 91 K1500 yesterday. As close as I could figure from the battery date code, it was either 6 years old or 16 years old. While 16 is highly improbable, it wouldn't surprise me knowing the history of the vehicle. Went to start vehicle and it made a terrible noise but started. Got to my destination two hours away and noticed the battery guage bouncing. Had it checked at AutoZone and it tested bad. Replaced with a Duralast Gold.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Like after 3 or 3 1/2 years?
my toyotas the oem, came with the car new batteries they last about 5 years , the aftermarket ones last 3 1/2 years or there about.

thinking about just replacing at 3 1/2 or a little more.

Hmmm first OEM Toyota battery lasted a year past its 84 month rating. But it didn't die winter was coming and I'd gotten my moneys worth and I replaced it. But I live in a very mild climate that is easy on batteries. Most of the time with batteries you get what you pay for. I'm on my third battery in the Corolla now just replacing it with another OEM 84 month battery. The Les Schwab battery didn't fail but I was getting signs last fall it was getting weak so back to the original Toyota 84 month OEM. The new OEM was $129 installed.

Last edited:
Pretty impressive SatinSilver. 5 yes on a Exide battery that was $55 was a great performance.

I like to change them out at 4 yrs maybe 3.5 depending upon the original warranty period.

My batteries usually give a little warning. It takes a hair longer to start or it doesn't crank with the same gusto. That's when I change them.

I had a digital tester that does a load test and vehicle charging test. You enter in the CCA of the battery and it does its thing. I have had it 10 years now and it knows when batteries are getting weaker and should be replaced "before" they are a problem.

That's when I replace mine.

My dad a mechanic of 45 years replaces his when the vehicles don't start any longer.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back