Windshield tinting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
The windshield in my Jeep took a nasty hit from a stone and will need to be replaced. Living in Phoenix, some additional heat/sun/UV protection would be nice and it seems like before the windshield is installed would be the ideal time to apply it. Does anything like this exist?

Yes it is the same as other window tinting. You need to check your local laws because it cannot be used in some places or there are limits to how far down it can go.

Illegal in many states but that doesn't stop the ricers from driving around with 5% on the windshield.

Works the same as tinting any other window.

What heat?
lol.gif

I think there’s some pretty clear tint that blocks heat. Not sure who can do it though.

I know here in Ohio, it can't be reflective, and cannot extend below the AS-1 line.

"The term “AS-1 line” shall mean a line extending from the letters AS-1, found on most motor vehicle windshields, running parallel to the top of the windshield or shall mean a line 5 inches below and parallel to the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield."

Who ever produced those lines need to go back and study geometry … these high slope windshields of today could have more tint and still be well above the line of sight …

I watched a Youtube by Vehicle Virgins and he had tints fitted to his S550

There was a demo of the clear tints that reduced heat inside the vehicle.

I think they were Ceramic coated

Look into 3m Chrystaline, you can get a 70% or 90% film that will block UV and a measurable amount of heat but will basically be imperceptible when viewed from inside or outside

It's not legal here without a reference from a physician, but any of the shops will happily tint them.

The 3M product mentioned above does have a phenomenal infrared rejection percentage even at 70/90% VLT, higher than some less expensive brands in a darker (lower VLT) shade.

Llumar makes a similar product, Air I think, with almost as impressive numbers. If I'm remembering correctly, the tint color is a faint blue, as opposed to a very faint black of the 3M. That was what the shop suggested for the windscreen Less conspicuous than the darker tints.

I just recently had the Buick tinted, and went with the llumar ceramic. Pretty close to the crystalline, but a full $160 cheaper.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Yes. I had mine done in July. The IR (heat) rejection is claimed to be 43%. It made a very noticeable difference in the somewhat weak performance of my A/C on very hot days. I wish I had done it sooner.

The 3M product sounds interesting, I'll look into it. I've been meaning to get the front windows tinted to match the rears, but haven't got around to it yet.

Just check some samples at your desired VLT, the clerk at Jag suggested that going darker than 50% (I wanted 30 on the sides and rear window) could cause a hint of blue/purple in certain lighting.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: bigjl

Yes. I had mine done in July. The IR (heat) rejection is claimed to be 43%. It made a very noticeable difference in the somewhat weak performance of my A/C on very hot days. I wish I had done it sooner.

Nice

I have been trying to find a stockist of decent window tints in the UK.

I have to go clear front front passenger and Drivers window for legal reasons but would like the reduction in heat.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Windshields already block UV due to the plastic in their lamination.

All the windows in the Jaguar XJ are laminated, and some Range Rovers.

I was told it also helped with noise reduction.

I wasn’t convinced till buying my 2016 S Class!

There is indeed more noise.

After 2500 miles in the S Class my next work vehicle will very likely be a Jaguar again. Unless they improve the S Class in several areas, over rated is a phrase that comes to mind

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I know here in Ohio, it can't be reflective, and cannot extend below the AS-1 line.

"The term “AS-1 line” shall mean a line extending from the letters AS-1, found on most motor vehicle windshields, running parallel to the top of the windshield or shall mean a line 5 inches below and parallel to the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield."

I had this done for the first time on my Buick Regal. When I climbed in after they were done, it seemed to me I was looking out through a viewport!

I got used to it very fast and never notice it now.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The windshield in my Jeep took a nasty hit from a stone and will need to be replaced. Living in Phoenix, some additional heat/sun/UV protection would be nice and it seems like before the windshield is installed would be the ideal time to apply it. Does anything like this exist?

Llumar Air 80 or 90, made specifically for windshields.

I have the Air 80 on all my windshields, hard to tell it is even there. Highly recommended.

http://northamerica.llumar.com/automotiv...dow-tint-series

Quote:
The LLumar AIR Series can keep you safer on the road every day, just like your brake pads and air bags. This film is a barely visible, micro-thin layer of nano-ceramic tint technology – but without the window-darkening tint.

Install AIR to upgrade your factory window glass with more protection from shattering, heat and glare, and a shield against 99% of the sun’s harmful UV rays that’s recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. Because it’s barely detectable, LLumar AIR film can even be installed on factory-tinted windows. It’s an optically clear layer that enhances performance without altering your vehicle’s exterior look, or your views of the road.

Specs:

http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/llautospecifications_20140715_00.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back