What not to do with a new engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good video. I have always laughed at those that recommend a "drive it like you stole it" break in. People who steal cars do not care what the long term effects are of abusing a new car. Break in periods for most new cars these days are minimal and do not impose any real burden on anyone who cares about their cars. My wife and I went to a Jaguar dealer recently and the sales rep "demonstrated" the performance characteristics of the car by showing us WOT acceleration runs and hard max breaking stops in a car we were interested in. We left the dealer and never went back. We ended up ordering a new BMW to be sure nobody else ever took the car for a test ride. I did the same for my 2016 Charger Scat Pack. Bought the car the day it came in off the truck with only factory and PDI miles. Told the dealer I would not touch a car test driven by anyone else.

15000 posts here. You know what this post is going to do.
23.gif

Stevie,

Did you change your username from the original one? I don't remember that username until recently.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Good video. I have always laughed at those that recommend a "drive it like you stole it" break in. People who steal cars do not care what the long term effects are of abusing a new car. Break in periods for most new cars these days are minimal and do not impose any real burden on anyone who cares about their cars. My wife and I went to a Jaguar dealer recently and the sales rep "demonstrated" the performance characteristics of the car by showing us WOT acceleration runs and hard max breaking stops in a car we were interested in. We left the dealer and never went back. We ended up ordering a new BMW to be sure nobody else ever took the car for a test ride. I did the same for my 2016 Charger Scat Pack. Bought the car the day it came in off the truck with only factory and PDI miles. Told the dealer I would not touch a car test driven by anyone else.

Most new cars only have between 3 and 7 miles on them. Anymore then expect it's been taken for a test drive.

Like you stole it ? ~ nah, no way ~ just did one and drove it like I paid what my first house cost …

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Stevie,

Did you change your username from the original one? I don't remember that username until recently.

Nope, Wayne reactivated my account when I came back.
smile.gif

New cars sitting on the lot or in the showroom are often abused before the new owner takes possession.

The kid in the video has some good points, all common sense.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
15000 posts here. You know what this post is going to do.
23.gif

Just a good video that dispels the myths out there. I have always been light on my vehicles in the first few thousand kilometers and have varied the speed with a conservative RPM.

Once it's broken in then I drive it normally. Now I don't run around flooring a cold engine but I also don't sit in the driveway and have a cup of coffee waiting for the engine to warm up either and I live within about 2 miles of a highway that I take frequently and we get some pretty cold temperatures here. No issues.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Also , do not forget to check fluids and air pressure ( in the spare , also ) .

Do not neglect to change oil and filter . Do not neglect to service the other filters and fluids .

Do not hot rod it .

Remember , the floor board is not an ash tray or trash can .

Remember , it does not cost all that much to wash the car .

Best of luck to you , :)

Have always thought the first 100/500 is really important and happened to buy the Tahoe about 100 miles from home…so used the Nav in small bites to run me through some farm to market roads I had never used before … we had a pleasant drive … just not a quick drive …

I've only had 2 brand new cars, both manual transmission Toyota engined cars-did some up & downhill driving, no WOT, leaving it in a lower gear going downhill to seat the rings, neither one ever showed any oil consumption between OCs, AT ALL! Now if I was buying a new Demon, a Scat Pack Charger, or a Shelby GT-350 Mustang, it better not have been driven anywhere but off the delivery truck. I've seen what new car salesmen do to demos-it ain't pretty!

Most of my new vehicles have been low-end models with a 4-cylinder motor. I've always stood on the skinny pedal out of the gate; if for no other reason than it ain't got no ponies to spare. Never had an engine problem - and if I were to have one, I'd want it to blow up at 100 miles as opposed to 100K.

The interweb isn't rife with tales of problems attributed to not following the break-in instructions.

These instructions are buried in the owners' manual - which most folk don't bother to read. If it were so important, manufacturers could put a message on the digital display of new vehicles. Are they doing this?

I think I'll keep burnishing the parts the way I have for a while...

...and like the kid in the video, I have a BSME as well
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Most new cars only have between 3 and 7 miles on them. Anymore then expect it's been taken for a test drive.

Most car odometers can be reseted (legaly) for two or three times...that is why you can get a car with 0 miles...

And new cars see a lot of abuse while they are on their way to your dealer...

I advocate the mototune break-in method, which is a warmup followed by acceleration runs where you open the throttle a little more each run and use engine braking to slow down between runs.

Didn't watch the video. Not interested in what some random youtuber may or may not know.

Modern engines break-in regardless of what's done to them so not much point in debating it. It's like the drain early or go full oci for first oil change on a new vehicle debate. I doubt it will ever be settled

We bought the Challenger as a left over. It had 64 miles on it so it had some test drives and I am sure they were hot rods because the salesman tried to show my wife the launch control on a test drive and she told him she didn't care about that and turned it off. Still those cars were really made to be abused and I doubt you are going to do anything to that car that is going to significantly kill the motor short of running it out of oil. Just what they were made for. If they wouldn't take it there would be alot of broken ones out there because face it, that type of car is common with Jack donkeys. I certainly wouldn't buy a used one with 30,000 miles on it but less than a 1000, they didn't hurt it.
That said when I was in trucking and would get a new truck your first load when your pulling hills in Pennsylvania. That truck is mashed to the floor. There is no babying or breaking in big trucks. It's to the floor every gear pulling a hill loaded right of the bat usually with maybe 200-300 miles because they get moved around to get the bed, shipped etc. They don't get hauled on carriers. I used to feel bad holding it down right off the bat like that to the floor. You would smell the paint burning but that's how they all get run and they would run no issues to 300,000 to 400,000 when we traded them and then someone else would run them up to a million miles which was common in the Cummins N14s.

I tend to drive moderate for the first 500 miles also. Varied speeds and conditions with a few short accelerations here and there.

I must add that we have a 2013 company car that was driven as hard as possible from day one. I am talking WOT until the vehicle forces the shifts through all gears. It now has 73K and is one of the quickest cars we have. It actually feels quicker than the new 17's we have. Not sure on longevity but it definitely make me wonder if that break in has some merit.

Most likely those PDI miles were "drive it like you stole it" miles. Seen alot of unprofessional tech brag about doing this or that.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Drive your new car as if it breaks you have to fix it.

That's how we treat our new ones and we haven't had to replace an engine yet nor have we had one that needed adds between changes.
Run the H out of it now and then after the first thousand or so miles.
Before that, take it a little easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back