video ( filter cut open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Granted this is an airplane engine, but it's cool how he opens the pleats and you can see some [censored] hiding in there
shocked.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO1M_0u-owE

Nicely done video.
Notes:
1. This is an eCore that did well over the mandated oil and filter change interval. It took some effort to peal away the end caps.
2. There is trash in the pleats that need explanation. If it was the first change after major work then likely no problem. If this is a change that is well away from repairs , this engine might need attention.
3. He did not check pleat integrity before tearing up the element.
4. Nice trick with the plastic bag.
5. Really good example of an eCore being used in a maintenance managed environment. When run over proper intervals, no filter issues result. If the filter has an issue, the engine is likely at fault and needs further diagnosis and repair.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
WEIRD - I have never seen anyone use an automotive oil filter (LEGALLY) on an aircraft engine
Probably a Spartan grad tex.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
WEIRD - I have never seen anyone use an automotive oil filter (LEGALLY) on an aircraft engine

The filter in the video has a thick can. The burst strength for aviation filters is on the order of 600 psi.

The Luber-Finer PH8A has 2978 applications listed. Most are old applications for small and large block gas engines, some car engines, and quite a few Diesel engines in industrial applications.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
The Luber-Finer PH8A has 2978 applications listed. Most are old applications for small and large block gas engines, some car engines, and quite a few Diesel engines in industrial applications.

The FAA doesn't give two [censored] about that....
if the oil filter is NOT listed on the Type Certificate, it is ILLEGAL to use.

That, and expect Luber Finer's legal dept to request his video be taken down.
I know I would if a video shows it's Ok to run an oil filter on an aviation application that it IS NOT "approved" for.
HUGE legal bills could ensue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back