"Wax" knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been researching a "wax" for my new high performance, exotic, sports car. A few detail sites say that the 100% synthetic "waxes" (Nu Finish, Mother's Synthetic Wax, etc) are long lasting and MUCH easier to use than regular wax. Any experts on here? I think Consumer Reports says Nu Finish lasts longer than real waxes.

My Corolla wants it's paint kept up.

If you want your black plastic or rubber to show white marks, use NuFinish. If you don't, and want to complete the job in half the time, use Collinite 845.

Meguiars Ultimate Synthetic Wax,
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: user52165
If you don't, and want to complete the job in half the time, use Collinite 845.

Apply it with a cheap Walmart $20 electric polisher for even quicker results. Use the foam bonnet to apply it. It will go on in a thin, uniform manner. Then switch bonnets to the microfiber bonnet for removal. Let the product and machine do all the work. Makes the project fun instead of a chore.
smile.gif

After washing the car and preferably claying it, spray with rubbing alcohol so the surface is squeaky clean the sealant has the perfect surface to bond to. Keep car away from moisture for 24 hours so the sealant can cure properly. Even evening/morning dew can affect the curing process. So put car in a garage for 24 hrs if possible.

Originally Posted By: user52165
If you want your black plastic or rubber to show white marks, use NuFinish. If you don't, and want to complete the job in half the time, use Collinite 845.

I agree NuFinish is a PIA if you have any black trim. It's also too much of a cleaner/wax. Other products are easier and better.

One site said Mothers Synthetic Wax wouldn't discolor rubber like Nu. I live in Oregon. So dew and rain are a given unless it's July. Either Collinite, Meguiars, or Mothers not require hours of dry weather? This week I could have a few dry hours (5-6) after work to put it on. Then dew and fog most nights by midnight.

Last edited:
What do you want? Ease of application or durability? These don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

You can just apply it and see how it goes for eveing/morning dew. It will be better than having nothing on it. If there is dew just apply a second coat. You can even wait till it needs to be washed again in a week or two. Then apply the second coat. If you get dew the second time, still not the end of the world. Just don't apply rubbing alcohol prior to the second coat.

Collinite, Mothers or Durgloss for sealants.

Meguiars has decent polishes. I don't like their customer service either. The company is so large they keep telling me to call/contact a different dept. I just gave up. Versus Mothers and Duragloss where one call takes care of even the smallest of issues. And they send a replacement out asap.

See, the spray waxes I'd agree. But many sites say the synthetic polish/sealants that aren't waxes but they call waxes for marketing purposes are just as good and easier than dealing with a paste wax. I want something that protects the paint that is easy to put on and lasts a couple months or so.

I think Consumer Reports has rated them (I don't have a subscription) and the synthetic waxes (polishes/sealants) are better for lazy people like me.

Seems like most real waxes last about 2 months and these polish/sealants last just as long. Just wondering if anyone has used Mothers or Nu or Meguiars and if they do what a wax does...protects the paint. I don't care about the shine. It's a daily driver corolla lol

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
What do you want? Ease of application or durability? These don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
You can just apply it and see how it goes for eveing/morning dew. It will be better than having nothing on it. If there is dew just apply a second coat. You can even wait till it needs to be washed again in a week or two. Then apply the second coat. If you get dew the second time, still not the end of the world. Just don't apply rubbing alcohol prior to the second coat.

Is the rubbing alcohol a requirement? I know it removes waxes and greases and probably helps. You just mix some with water in a spray bottle? I was thinking a car wash, drive 2 miles home, put the polish I choose on. I just touched up some rock chips so will let the paint dry before getting the car wash. I just spot washed and rubbing alcoholed the chip areas to touch up.

Also, those of you having used the synthetic polish/sealants rather than "real wax", do you still get the water beading and such? Nice glossy look?

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
See, the spray waxes I'd agree. But many sites say the synthetic polish/sealants that aren't waxes but they call waxes for marketing purposes are just as good and easier than dealing with a paste wax. I want something that protects the paint that is easy to put on and lasts a couple months or so.

I think Consumer Reports has rated them (I don't have a subscription) and the synthetic waxes (polishes/sealants) are better for lazy people like me.

Seems like most real waxes last about 2 months and these polish/sealants last just as long. Just wondering if anyone has used Mothers or Nu or Meguiars and if they do what a wax does...protects the paint. I don't care about the shine. It's a daily driver corolla lol

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

The inquiry is too broad. NuFinish is one thing, but Meguiars and Mothers are just the brand names and both have numerous products consisting of natural and synthetic waxes!

But the general rule is if you want ease of application then get something synthetic. If you want something with a nice look and the classic feel of wax then go with carnauba.

For either kind, don't expect longevity past 2-3 months even when garaged, unless you never drive in the rain and never wash it.

My uncle was a die hard NuFinish user and he would maintain the finish at least twice a year on his cars and that worked for him.

Not a requirement but it's so simple to do. Small spray bottle is fine. Last time I diluted with some water but next time I'll prob go with straight 70% IPA. Just wipe with a plush MF towel. Detailers use it after polishing to remove the oils, residue from the compound/polish. They call it an IPA wipe down. Just a good habit to do and helps with durability I've noticed. Went from 3-4 months protection to 6-7 months protection from just a few extra minutes of prep work. Lighter colored car that isn't garaged and is daily driven.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
Also, those of you having used the synthetic polish/sealants rather than "real wax", do you still get the water beading and such? Nice glossy look?

Yes to both questions. You can always top the sealant with some wax after the sealant cures(24 hours) if you want.

I received a free bottle of wax but have yet to use any of it. Plus was able to get about 50 other people on here some free wax as part of a promotional email I received a few years ago.

Thanks Satin and Reddy! Was looking for testimonials before spending my hard earned $9 on synthetic, easy on/off polish/wax/sealant. Lol There are so many forums and the company websites disagree with wives tales on car sites, etc etc etc. And I'm ignorant but tend to believe consumer Reports and my dad has used Nu but said something about trim discoloring if you mess up. Which seems to be factual.

Best combo I've ever used is Duragloss 111 mixed with Duragloss 601. Should last a year through salt and everything. Polish before hand, I'd use Meguire's Ultimate polish on a lighter cut pad. Or use 105 instead of 111.
nR65njU.jpg
jLXvK5x.jpg
Klasse also gives great results but it very hard to work with and takes several coats with 8 hours in between where it can't get wet or dirty, hard to do sometimes. I've never been very happy with most OTC sealants, they last a few months if that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Best combo I've ever used is Duragloss 111 mixed with Duragloss 601.

How did you do the mixing? Just a few dots of each on the pad each time or something?

You have 2 choices...
1. Do a layer of 601 and then don't remove it, then add a layer of 111 and then wipe off after an hour or so.
2. The easy way and the way DG recommends: Mix 1 part 601 to 4 parts 111 (or 105). I used some cheap mixing bottle from the dollar store. Work in small quantities, it hardens in about 2 hours and becomes unusable, it's an epoxy. I think I Let used a table spoon as a part and it was enough to do my Cherokee. Let it cure for about 45 mins - 1hr before wiping off.

I use NF before winter, followed by a sealant and a wax topping. NF, turtle wax sealant (super easy to apply) and meguiars yellow wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back