Humidifier won't kick on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a whole house humidifier on my furnace. Only 1 year old and sounds like the solenoid isn't kicking on and giving it water

Check to see if the solenoid is receiving voltage , with a volt meter . Then check to see if it is drawing amperage , with an amp meter .

Best of luck to you , :-0

Ok I checked to see if it's receiving voltage and it's reading like 5.5 Should be 24 right?

Is the solenoid warm / hot ?

Can you measure the amperage ?

Either 120 VAC or 24 VAC . You are reading 5.5 VAC ? Can you get to the wires going to the solenoid , detach them and check the voltage on them , not connected to the solenoid ? I am guessing it should be 24 VAC . If so , I am guessing the moving part that is moved by the electromagnetic field of the coil , is " stuck " . This will cause the coil to draw higher than normal amperage , possibly dropping the the voltage .

If the voltage in the wires , no load , is significantly below 24 VAC , then there may be a problem with the device switching the circuit to the solenoid , causing higher than normal internal resistance ( perhaps burned / oxidized contacts
) .

Best of luck to you , :)

If it's 5.5v with it unplugged from the solenoid the problem is the wiring or power supply.. 5.5V with it plugged in would mean the solenoid is bad.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If it's 5.5v with it unplugged from the solenoid the problem is the wiring or power supply.. 5.5V with it plugged in would mean the solenoid is bad.

Yep . Kind of what I was trying to say .

If the water is vert hard , like ours . The sliding part of the water valve , that is caused to move by the magnetic field of the coil , may be stuck . Might or might not be able to repair it . Perhaps soak the valve mechanism in vinegar or citric acid ?

Would still be curious as to what the amperage is .

Best of luck , :)

Last edited:
The 5.5 Reading was From the wire that connects into the solenoid while the furnace was running Sorry i'm not good with electricity

If you age going to DIY , try soaking the valve in vinegar or citric acid ( not the coil or any other electrical parts ) .

If you disconnect the wires from the solenoid coil , what voltage do you get ?

Do you have HARD water ?

With the coil connected , are you able to measure the amperage ?

Best of luck , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back