Looking for a motorcycle battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looks like it's battery season for me and every vehicle I own is looking for a new battery :p

Yamaha 2000 R1 is in need of a battery too. Don't mind spending a few extra, as long as it doesn't cost an arm or a leg. I usually leave the battery on a tender, since don't ride everyday.

So any suggestions or any online coupons?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Deka (East Penn) ONLY for me. I have tried dozens of batteries, and they are the ONLY ones that last.

Granted.... a Harley Softail is a rigid-engined machine, and the battery sits right in the darn MIDDLE of a burning hot oil tank - so my testing is far harsh than other machines... but still - - Deka (East Penn) is the ONLY winner in my application.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Deka (East Penn) ONLY for me. I have tried dozens of batteries, and they are the ONLY ones that last.

Granted.... a Harley Softail is a rigid-engined machine, and the battery sits right in the darn MIDDLE of a burning hot oil tank - so my testing is far harsh than other machines... but still - - Deka (East Penn) is the ONLY winner in my application.

Thanks, how and where can I get it? Any advice? Thanks

NAPA AGM has worked very well for my 2009 Harley Superglide for 1 year. Time will tell how long it will last. Batteries plus also has some nice motorcycle batteries with fairly long warranties, though I suspect they're pro rated.

When I got my bike I had a MotoBatt AGM battery on it, so far so good, and it is nice to have an AGM battery.

They make one for your bike (MBT12B4), and is ~$80 shipped on Amazon.
Biggest complaint is the yellow color if it can be seen behind the cover, and some have an issue with the mounting setup on some batteries (some have a little adapter clip).

This is many years back, but I had good luck with a Walmart AGM, I think it was an ES12BS model number. Had it in my old GS500, worked for 8 or 9 years. I might have just gotten lucky though.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
So if I have to choose between Interstate vs Batteries plus, which one should I pick? Thanks

Neither.

Lots of experience with Motorcycle batteries. In your situation I'd either go with an Odyssey (which I don't think is available for your bike) or a Yuasa AGM. The Yuasa YT12B-[censored] is going for $78.63 on Amazon.

Ridiculous censorship. The Yuasa Battery model number is YT12B-B S. The last two letters of the model number aren't spaced out like I had to do for the correct model number to show.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
So if I have to choose between Interstate vs Batteries plus, which one should I pick? Thanks

Neither.

Lots of experience with Motorcycle batteries. In your situation I'd either go with an Odyssey (which I don't think is available for your bike) or a Yuasa AGM. The Yuasa YT12B-[censored] is going for $78.63 on Amazon.

Ridiculous censorship. The Yuasa Battery model number is YT12B-B S. The last two letters of the model number aren't spaced out like I had to do for the correct model number to show.

Thanks, that's what I was after. Honestly, I would rather buy Yuasa, if it's less than $80:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...r1/1000cc/2000

Interstate AGM one is like $110.

I'll check for Yuasa price on Amazon as well as ebay, is there a way battery can be fake? I have never heard of Odyssey, thanks so much for your advice and help
thumbsup2.gif

Neither.

BTW, any experience with this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/YT12B-[censored]-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery-YT12B-[censored]/322573650489?hash=item4b1ae34a39:g:v~kAAOSw~rpZVnZ3&vxp=mtr

Also, this one : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yuasa-YUAM6212B-YT12B-[censored]-Battery-New-Yuasa-Agm-58-1310-49-1971-YT12BBS/261778739615?epid=171204688&hash=item3cf33a919f:g:eek:~cAAOSwv0tU4HCj&vxp=mtr

There are lots of counterfeit parts out there, especially on Ebay. That is why they are often priced at too-good-to-be-true prices.

Then you have the cheap batteries that are usually made in China, and in my experience they simply don't last. For your application, I'd simply go with the Yuasa from a reputable seller like Amazon.

Just follow the instructions for filling the battery with the provided Acid pack, let the battery sit for an hour or two, install the cap strip, and then charge it with your Battery Tender. You will have a reliable battery that will last.

There are lots of counterfeit parts out there, especially on Ebay. That is why they are often priced at too-good-to-be-true prices.

Then you have the cheap batteries that are usually made in China, and in my experience they simply don't last. For your application, I'd simply go with the Yuasa from a reputable seller like Amazon.

Just follow the instructions for filling the battery with the provided Acid pack, let the battery sit for an hour or two, install the cap strip, and then charge it with your Battery Tender. You will have a reliable battery that will last.

Thanks for your valuable input and advice.

I haven't shopped for batteries in a few years but I know at one time the Yuasa Japan batteries were better than the Yuasa USA batteries if you could find them.

Take the old one to Walmart, and find the appropriate garden tractor battery. My uncle did this on his Yamaha...half the cost, for a better battery! Sadly, I can't do that. (I need a sealed, AGM, or gel battery.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Take the old one to Walmart, and find the appropriate garden tractor battery. My uncle did this on his Yamaha...half the cost, for a better battery! Sadly, I can't do that. (I need a sealed, AGM, or gel battery.)

Is that even possible? I mean in terms of CCA and all?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Is that even possible? I mean in terms of CCA and all?

It depends on the bike. Some lawn and garden tractors hive high electrical needs, so they may make a battery similar enough for the needs of a bike.

I've always used yuasa batteries in my metrics and my current Harley. They always fit just right and many times you have an option for a super powerful battery. If you find the model number you can search the internet. A lot of times Amazon will have them at good prices with shipping. If I remember correctly I always went to Yuasa website and got the model number from there.

I am a bit torn, since East pennn( NAPA) one can be had for $80, while Yuasa is also similar price.

Decisions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back