Fighting fuel dilution: Honda 1.5L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I’ve decided on and bought a 2017 Honda Civic Touring with the 1.5L turbo, what things can we do to fight the duel dilution issue with this motor?

Have you done a UOA to see if it has fuel dilution?

My GDI engine doesn't fuel dilute. I think people talking about GDI fuel dilution as a problem is like people saying Fram filters are junk because of their cardboard endcaps.

Picked up yesterday so not much time to do anything with it. I don’t know that it has or will have fuel dilution, however it has been a problem with some of these. What I’m asking if there are steps I can take to minimize the risk - fuel brands, oil choice, etc. I believe from my reading that the design of the engine to prevent LSPI is behind this and I’m not sure it’s as big a deal as some make it out to be.

UOAs from others on here with that engine show fuel dilution is an issue. Some of the comments that come back from the lab say to check for fuel leaks.

I don't know there's a lot to be done to prevent it as it seems to be designed-in, maybe to prevent LSPI. But a UOA could give you a better read on your situation. If you get a UOA I'd suggest Polaris/OIl Analyzers as it uses gas chromotography to test for dilution. While it probably won't help fuel dilution it may be wise to use a Dexos1 Gen2 oil in the future.

And as a hint, when you submit a sample to Polaris/OAI specifically ask for GC. If viscosity looks OK, they sometimes revert to a blanket <1% conclusion. Or you could just say in the submission form that the oil tested is a 30 weight instead of 20 that you likely will use.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
UOAs from others on here with that engine show fuel dilution is an issue. Some of the comments that come back from the lab say to check for fuel leaks.
Just because fuel dilution exists doesn't mean it's an issue.

Is there any evidence that it matters? That fuel dilution is shortening engines life?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Is there any evidence that it matters? That fuel dilution is shortening engines life?

Probably not an issue till after 100k miles. The powertrain warranty will be well over by then unless an extended one is purchased. Only time will tell. But fuel in the oil in a turbocharged engine probably isn't the best thing for it. I think Honda extended warranties go up to 120k and can be purchased online.

Congrats on a great car! I own a Turbo GDi and have had no issue for five years. Come to think, no issues with either GDi or T-GDi. I have read all there is to read about LSPI, Fuel Dilution, Intake Valve Deposits...and nadda. You can always use dexos1 Gen2 certified or go with a higher viscosity so you dilute towards the recommended viscosity. Again, I've used conventional oil and even 87 octane in the past and have never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Probably not an issue till after 100k miles. The powertrain warranty will be well over by then unless an extended one is purchased. Only time will tell. But fuel in the oil in a turbocharged engine probably isn't the best thing for it. I think Honda extended warranties go up to 120k and can be purchased online.

Not really, the vast majority of issues born from GDI have surfaced at much lower mileage than 100K in the applications it has affected. We all, including me at times, make mountains out of molehills.

I have the same turbocharged Civic with 1.5T. Factory fill has been obviously diluted and total sump volumed increased - drained around 4qts. I switched over to Amsoil and ran it for about 5.5K miles. No oil level increase on the dipstick. Ran the UOA with polaris: first time they found severe fuel dilution, asked them to rerun the sample and no fuel dilution was found, wear metals look good. Currently running same oil and oil level on the dipstick is rock solid. With that said, I'm not sure if FD is currently present or it is not. I'm also running a catch can that collects a little bit of the blow by oil. I guess what really is important is not to run bad gas and not to lug the car. Do 5k OCI with real synthetic, do couple UOA to ensure good wear and you'll be golden. Enjoy the car, hopefully you opted for manual

Believe your senses. Check oil levels often. Look at the oil color. Smell it. Rub some between your fingers. Learn what good oil looks likes, smells like and feels like. If it goes off quickly, get it tested. About the only thing you can do is move up the change interval and, if you’re no where near making the recommended interval, I would consider going up one grade.

Last edited:
Run higher octane in it? Some of these turbo GDI engines spray extra fuel in the combustion chamber when engine knock is sensed in order to keep the engine alive. 87 octane is a joke and has no place in a turbocharged DGI engine.
The auto makers know Americans are addicted to 87 octane in mundane cars and are afraid to recommend 91 octane in a Chevy Cruz 1.4, Civic Touring, VW Jetta 1.4. At least Nissan isn't afraid to recommended 91 octane in the lowly Sentra SR Turbo.

btw, you can oil drop test anytime you want just to check on how severe (if present at all) fuel dilution is. there's a lot of info on the web about and it's really helpful

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Run higher octane in it? Some of these turbo GDI engines spray extra fuel in the combustion chamber when engine knock is sensed in order to keep the engine alive. 87 octane is a joke and has no place in a turbocharged DGI engine.
The auto makers know Americans are addicted to 87 octane in mundane cars and are afraid to recommend 91 octane in a Chevy Cruz 1.4, Civic Touring, VW Jetta 1.4. At least Nissan isn't afraid to recommended 91 octane in the lowly Sentra SR Turbo.

GM has finally came out just in the last month and gone public requesting higher Octane gas. They are now selling us premium gas that in the 1970's was considered low test sub octane regular that was only sold to cut rate stations like Time, Gull etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back