Tactful way find out job applicant current salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has reached a point at which I am willing to take a lower salary to reduce my stress and shorten my commute, what does it matter?

I've always just asked what their salary expectations are. I've found most people come prepared to answer that question. It also puts them a little less on the defensive, vs. the "what are you making now?" comment.

Go to their house and steal some pay stubs, or just ask them. If they want your job they'll probably tell you.

When I have been asked I say that I prefer not to answer and will consider what they (employer) is offering with an overall view with all things considered. Works for me.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What's the best and tactful way to find out job applicant's current salary ?

Lets say, someone was making a lot more than you are prepared to offer, does it really matter?

They will state their expectation, and you will offer yours, and maybe you meet up with a accepted number, or not.

While my pay is fixed and available for anyone to see, if I worked in the private sector, it's no one else's business. My job history and skill set should be determining factors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TWG1572
I've always just asked what their salary expectations are. I've found most people come prepared to answer that question. It also puts them a little less on the defensive, vs. the "what are you making now?" comment.

I agree with you.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
There's a growing trend in several states to ban asking what a person's current salary is. NY, PA, MA and a few others.

https://www.bna.com/delaware-oregon-enact-b73014453430/

Yes and this is why so many companies will only hire you as a temp for 6 months. Too many people fudge their resumes but with time you figure it out and if they did after 6 months you just don't need them anymore.

Most private sector employers will not give that info out... so you have to ask. And if they are smart they will lie and add 5k to 10k or more.

I never asked nor really cared when I was doing hiring. After the first 15 minutes or so, I already had an idea of the applicants level of talent, and the range of what I might offer/accept. I always made an initial offer that left a bit of room for negotiating up-- If someone took the intial offer and proved themselves by becoming a valuable employee, I'd give them a raise pretty quickly. The goal was never to hire someone at the lowest I possibly could, that's a recipe for unhappy employees and low morale.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What's the best and tactful way to find out job applicant's current salary ?

Lets say, someone was making a lot more than you are prepared to offer, does it really matter?

They will state their expectation, and you will offer yours, and maybe you meet up with a accepted number, or not.

When it matters is when they are making a lot less than he is prepared to pay.

Ive seen resume builders that specifically ask for prior pay. No reason not to - if they really want someone they can beat it. If not, they can match or lowball.

Equifax Workplace Solutions may have a salary history for the person going back several year. Usually one signs consent to do background and credit check and this falls into that area.

I requested one for myself and it had salary history for most prior employers going back more than 10 years.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Most private sector employers will not give that info out... so you have to ask. And if they are smart they will lie and add 5k to 10k or more.
Unless a person is not really qualified, is in a jam, or is just looking for a career change, there is no reason to make a lateral move when changing jobs. There is an old saying--if you want a decent raise, quit and come back. To a large degree this is true because 9 times out of 10 if they had to replace the person with an external hire the offered pay is **usually** more than the in-house person was making--particularly if the in-house person was promoted into the position.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Equifax Workplace Solutions may have a salary history for the person going back several year. Usually one signs consent to do background and credit check and this falls into that area. I requested one for myself and it had salary history for most prior employers going back more than 10 years.
I would tend to think this is on a state-by-state basis. Some are more protective of information than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back