Luckiest Guy in the World?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran FRAM orange cans, Honda genuine, and $1.50 Quaker State filters for 10k mile intervals with synthetic oil for 200k miles on a Honda. Do I really need a $15 filter for my new Toyota?

Nope, you really don't especially if you are the one maintaining the car since new. The engine will be clean enough inside where it won't make a huge difference, as long as you change the filter regularly.

Probably not.
If you change your oil regularly right from the beginning, you'll never accumulate enough dirt to need the extra filtering capacity that those expensive filters provide. A NAPA Gold, Wix or Fram Toughgard should work fine for 10K....I personally wouldn't run an orange Fram or other cheap filter for 10K....

Depends on what kind of Toyota you get because that will determine the filter type used.
Most new Toyota uses the cartridge type filter (no can).
The cheapest filter for that is actually the OEM from stealership.
Even the Orange can is more expensive.
So, yes, you can keep using the Orange can but it is not $1.50 filter anymore.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
I ran FRAM orange cans, Honda genuine, and $1.50 Quaker State filters for 10k mile intervals with synthetic oil for 200k miles on a Honda. Do I really need a $15 filter for my new Toyota?

If its a cartage filter that's probably going to be as cheap as you're going to find on some models of cars. Look for those prices to come down but that's close to where some of them are now.

Last edited:
If you buy a new 96K Lexus it comes with a Toyota Denso oil filter, and if you have the Lexus dealer service it, it gets the same Denso filter. The genuine Toyota Denso is usually about $5, +/- $2. Not bad for a part engineered for the car as a replacement part with a 12k or one year factory warranty.

In the 1950's, some car engines were made without oil filters. My boss had an old Chevy that went for 200,000 miles and it did not have an oil filter. He changed his oil regularly and kept his fingers crossed that his engine would not die.

I was ready to get flamed. I get some of you are OCD (not OCOD) but I just giggle every time people spend $20 on oil and $15 on a filter. Lol. And then change every 5-7k because you just can't have any dirt in your oil. Good to see some normal people in the filter section. I'll keep going with OEM because ,as some have pointed out, they are the cheapest I can find.

Originally Posted By: pbm

If you change your oil regularly right from the beginning, you'll never accumulate enough dirt to need the extra filtering capacity that those expensive filters provide.

Correct ^^

I ran a Motorcraft FL-1A filter on a Ford 400M V8 for 30,000 miles with regular oil changes.

I do 10K oil change intervals on my 03 V8 4Runner but only change the Mobil1 M-209 filter every other oil change and the recent UOA showed good results.

Shop Ebay and amazon and youll find good deals on multipack Toyota oil fiters.

I get 5-10 packs for about $5 each, free ship no tax.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
In the 1950's, some car engines were made without oil filters. My boss had an old Chevy that went for 200,000 miles and it did not have an oil filter. He changed his oil regularly and kept his fingers crossed that his engine would not die.

Non-detergent oil did a lot better without a filter then modern detergent oils.

I was ready to get flamed. I get some of you are OCD (not OCOD) but I just giggle every time people spend $20 on oil and $15 on a filter. Lol. And then change every 5-7k because you just can't have any dirt in your oil. Good to see some normal people in the filter section. I'll keep going with OEM because ,as some have pointed out, they are the cheapest I can find.

$35.00 for synthetic oil and a top filter is cheaper then $5K plus for a new motor.
I call it insurance.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Many Volkswagen Beatles of the mid 60’s failed due to improper lubrication. Recommended Oil change interval was 2000 miles and to clean the screen. If the screen was damaged, replaced. Generally this design was less than glorious. I personally saw 20 VW needing engines after a hot 4th of July weekend. All were headed west on I80 with pedal to the metal. Of the 20, none followed the maintenance schedule.

I'm halfway between the bulk oil/jobber filter and the full synthetic/FU camps. I use semi-syn and mid-level filters (MC, Wix or CQ Blue) at factory intervals and have been fine with this so far.

You can get OEMs for $4-7 for almost all makes. It's what they recommend for the car. Why the need for a $15 filter? What do you put in your oil that you need to filter out? If my oil filter is filtering out metal particles it's on its last legs and a $15 filter isn't going to save it. If I have gravel in my engine that needs filtering I should think about attaching the clamps to my air filter box and putting a filter in.

Originally Posted By: marine65

$35.00 for synthetic oil and a top filter is cheaper then $5K plus for a new motor.
I call it insurance.

Yeah, but weren't they also air cooled? I have a lawn mower that's 29 years old with the same motor. I change the oil at most once a year and rarely change the air filter. Thing purrs like a kitten.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Many Volkswagen Beatles of the mid 60’s failed due to improper lubrication. Recommended Oil change interval was 2000 miles and to clean the screen. If the screen was damaged, replaced. Generally this design was less than glorious. I personally saw 20 VW needing engines after a hot 4th of July weekend. All were headed west on I80 with pedal to the metal. Of the 20, none followed the maintenance schedule.

These engines failed due to a lack of lubrication, not because they were air cooled. It is true cylinder #3 ran hottest because the oil cooler was mounted directly above #3. #3 would score and heat up. The final stage was a broken rod. These failures were accelerated by running WOT on a steady uphill grade when ambient temperature was 104F or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back