CARB to Build New $419,000,000 Emissions Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/10/20171028-arb.html

Quote:
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) broke ground on its new state-of-the-art Southern California headquarters. The 380,000-square-foot building will be home to one of the largest and most advanced vehicle emissions testing and research facilities in the world. Construction costs of $419 million, which include $108 million for specialized laboratory and testing equipment, were approved by the Legislature in July. Of those costs, $154 million comes from fines paid by Volkswagen for air quality violations related to the diesel car cheating case. Additional funds will come from the Motor Vehicle Account, the Air Pollution Control Fund and the Vehicle Inspection Repair Fund.

CARB chose the site near the University of California, Riverside, in March 2016 and completed environmental studies in June 2017.

$420 million could be used to plant a lot of trees, clean up rivers, help the homeless, etc..

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
$420 million could be used to plant a lot of trees, clean up rivers, help the homeless, etc..

That would make too much sense. We can't have that now.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

That won't create a porked out bureaucracy where well to do college educated bureaucrats can get fat and happy off the gubmit teet.

Maybe the EPA can put more truckers out of business and declare their older evil rigs the cause of air pollution.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I shake my head. Time for the revolution LOL

Exactly - CA is a state that is supposed to be BANKRUPT... where did they get $419,000,000 from ?!?!?

Elon Musk is shaking his head.... $419,000,000 for an "auto emissions lab"? REALLY?

Who do you'all think would build the next big testing lab? The EPA, GM, Ford, VW, China ...

What everyone should be asking is why another State did not do this and take the lead away from Cali ... As long as others won't, Cali will.

And they will get all sorts of cooperation from US EPA, consortia of automakers who don't want the PR fallout from doing the actual research and testing, etc.

Elon and the electric car business is not in the mix - it's a sideshow. There are plenty of places where we will have IC's for the foreseeable future. Funny how the R&D is moving away from Motor City ...

Ultimately, Cali will make the money back and then some
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I don't support CARB but $419 million is nothing in CA. Any bridge or small local government building cost $10-$50 million. Each citizen with donate $12 in taxes to pay for this.

Every time I read an article like this I think back to history when they wouldn't pay a 2% tea tax and I think how far we have let things go as society.
frown.gif

Agencies like CARB become entrenched bureaucrats with big $$$ and not answerable to anyone. On the federal level, the best example I can think of is the EPA.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Exactly - CA is a state that is supposed to be BANKRUPT... where did they get $419,000,000 from ?!?!?

Elon Musk is shaking his head.... $419,000,000 for an "auto emissions lab"? REALLY?

You should see our DMV fees - which will go up bigly soon.

You can be sure that $419M is just a figure that will have cost overages.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: Linctex

You should see our DMV fees - which will go up bigly soon.

You can be sure that $419M is just a figure that will have cost overages.
and gas will go up $.63 per gallon next wednesday to support rosds that had their tax money misapproiated to browns train to no where.

CARB regulations always migrate to the rest of the country...kind of like a cancer. I understand Ca is in the process of seceding.....and it can't happen soon enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back