Mazdas new compression gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it still on for 2018? Kind of exciting. Leave it to Mazda once they got clear of Ford to come up with something new.

Something like this might make a good pickup truck engine.

Well a Turbo that's going to leave it out for me. I was hoping for a 2.4 engine and in the CX-5.
Time now to wait and see if this four cylinder Turbo runs better than some of the others.

Is it going to have LSPI issues?

Last edited:
Optimally, best of both worlds. I hope they can pull it off successfully!

I've read that the engine is 40% thermally efficient. That's very close to the 41% of the latest Toyota hybrid engines. Impressive considering the robust output.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well a Turbo that's going to leave it out for me. I was hoping for a 2.4 engine and in the CX-5.
Time now to wait and see if this four cylinder Turbo runs better than some of the others.

The real question is, what will the octane requirement be? It could be rated something like 55 EPA highway in a Mazda 3, but if it required 91 octane gas, that would turn some away from buying it.
Most auto makers are working on things behind closed doors to meet the 2025 54.5 MPG EPA fuel economy requirement. GM wants a standard higher octane gasoline because they know gas engines will be
far different less than 10 years from now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

The real question is, what will the octane requirement be? It could be rated something like 55 EPA highway in a Mazda 3, but if it required 91 octane gas, that would turn some away from buying it.
Most auto makers are working on things behind closed doors to meet the 2025 54.5 MPG EPA fuel economy requirement. GM wants a standard higher octane gasoline because they know gas engines will be
far different less than 10 years from now.

When I worked on the Pipeline years ago Premium had to be 95+ and 92 to 94 octane was regular anything 91 or lower was sub octane regular and sold at all the cut rate stations like Time and Gull. Now they are selling us sub octane regular for four to five times plus what it used to sell for as sub octane regular. Wish my wages had reflected that.

Its way past time the EPA was reeled in and these CAFE standards get reviewed and set back to something practical.

Last edited:

Its way past time the EPA was reeled in and these CAFE standards get reviewed and set back to something practical.

Or lighten up on the emissions regulations..... engines are burning cleaner than ever by DESIGN and computer software.

Engines should be optimized - for ECONOMY.

Make the most fuel efficient engines possible, and don't worry about emissions.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Or lighten up on the emissions regulations..... engines are burning cleaner than ever by DESIGN and computer software.

Engines should be optimized - for ECONOMY.

Make the most fuel efficient engines possible, and don't worry about emissions.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Supercharged 2.0, not turbocharged.
Whole different set of dynamics for low engine speeds.

BC.

Yep. This engine will have a supercharger, not a turbocharger.

The Mazda engineers are top notch. I believe Toyota has a close eye on this engine as future plans are having Mazda engines in certain Toyota vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back