Hiking Pike's Peak in Late November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousin wants to go hike Pike's Peak the weekend after Thanksgiving. We're both in good shape, so that won't be an issue. Just wondering about snow, really.

So, doable?

My family and I are are Cali born and raised, but we lived in Colorado for 2 1/2 years (2000-2002). The people in Colorado are truly great folks. Props to them!

However, Coloradans take "great pride" in the fact that you can die of exposure somewhere in Colorado 365 days a year. As Kuato said, "BE PREPARED!"

One thing I can tell you from personal experience, the weather can change quickly in Colorado. It can be sunny and hot one moment, but then become biting cold with blowing snow flurries JUST ONE HOUR LATER. And with all the high mountains, you don't see the impending weather change until it's right on top of you!

Besides the weather, the altitude will be big factor too, even if you are physically fit.

Treat that hike of yours with great respect. I cannot over emphasize that statement.

Scott

PS Personally, I think late November it too late to embark on your Pikes Peak adventure.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
My family and I are are Cali born and raised, but we lived in Colorado for 2 1/2 years (2000-2002). The people in Colorado are truly great folks. Props to them!

However, Coloradans take "great pride" in the fact that you can die of exposure somewhere in Colorado 365 days a year. As Kuato said, "BE PREPARED!"

One thing I can tell you from personal experience, the weather can change quickly in Colorado. It can be sunny and hot one moment, but then become biting cold with blowing snow flurries JUST ONE HOUR LATER. And with all the high mountains, you don't see the impending weather change until it's right on top of you!

Besides the weather, the altitude will be big factor too, even if you are physically fit.

Treat that hike of yours with great respect. I cannot over emphasize that statement.

Scott

PS Personally, I think late November it too late to embark on your Pikes Peak adventure.

I lived in Colorado back in the 70's and spent a lot of time hiking through the Rockies. The above is excellent advice.

Just remember, that there are less and less oxygen (O2) as you go higher in elevation.
That can cause dizyness and headache.

That is the preparation needs to be, not just physical but the ability to breathe with less oxygen.

Wait until summer. Rescue people have enough to do with real emergencies and don't need to have be out looking for people who shouldn't be out in the first place. Saw that many, many times in our twenty some years around Steamboat Springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back