Damaged Rotor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a set of Centric Premium rotors from RA. Have bought Centric Premiums many times and never had a problem. One rotor had a mark on it. Looked like someone used a Phillips screwdriver for a punch and gave it a good whack with a hammer. Must have been there when the rotor was coated because after machining, the indentation was filled with black coating. Even filled with coating, the indentation caught your fingernail.

I returned the rotor although it probably would have been ok. My concern was the defect could be a stress concentrator which would cause the rotor to crack, sImilar to a chipped windshield.

Would you guys have used or returned this rotor? Thanks.

Not seeing what you described it remains to be seen but yes, I would have returned the rotor based on your description. And as long as RA is picking up the shipping cost in both directions.

Yep id of returned it. However id doubt it would crack because of it. Depends how deep..just fingernail sensing deep, nope.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Yep id of returned it. However id doubt it would crack because of it. Depends how deep..just fingernail sensing deep, nope.

It was deeper than fingernail sensing. I could not tell how deep because the indentation was filled with the black coating used on Centric Premiums. From appearance I would say it was significantly deep. I didn’t want to waste timepicking/scraping out the coating plus I wanted RA to see it the same way I received it.

Was the RA return center to which you sent your rotor the one at 210 Industrial Pkwy, Cheektowaga, NY?

Just wondering. I have a list of each and every parts warehouse address which sends me a part. I find it interesting.

I love how you can order a gasket from Advance Auto Parts and you get a Fel-Pro gasket from Fel-Pro HQ in Skokie, Ill.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Was the RA return center to which you sent your rotor the one at 210 Industrial Pkwy, Cheektowaga, NY?

Just wondering. I have a list of each and every parts warehouse address which sends me a part. I find it interesting.

I love how you can order a gasket from Advance Auto Parts and you get a Fel-Pro gasket from Fel-Pro HQ in Skokie, Ill.

Bethpage, NY

I would have sent it back too if this defect recessed well into the contact surface of the rotor. Things like this is why I've always shied away from mail-ordering brake rotors or drums. I've had parts store ones I've had to return because of fitment or quality issues. So much easier to exchange.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I would have sent it back too if this defect recessed well into the contact surface of the rotor. Things like this is why I've always shied away from mail-ordering brake rotors or drums. I've had parts store ones I've had to return because of fitment or quality issues. So much easier to exchange.

Can’t remember the last time I bought an aftermarket part (except batteries) from a parts store...maybe 20-25 years ago. I infrequently buy OEM parts from dealer, but most OEM parts on-line too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back