Sears done with Whirlpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sears-whirlpool-appliances-split-partnership-after-100-years/

"Sears said that Whirlpool (WHR) was making demands that would've made it difficult to sell its appliances at a competitive price."

Could the demands be Cash-on-Delivery?
laugh.gif

That is not good news for me as I’m not buying SK appliances. … know of too many failures while my Kenmore Elites rocked on for a decade and onwards …

They must engage in dumping because Home Depot and all the others do … once the competition is gone … the dumpers will raise the price and you will pay more for stuff that you have to buy more often …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
They must engage in dumping because Home Depot and all the others do … once the competition is gone … the dumpers will raise the price and you will pay more for stuff that you have to buy more often …

Appliances are one of the most competitive segments. Never bought from a sears, HD or Lowes, because appliances are the one place where you can still get competitively priced us-made items from mom and pop businesses.

I don't know how Sears just stopped being competitive. About 10-15 years ago I bought my appliances there, even knew a sales guy I always went to. But then they got rid of free delivery and their prices were no longer competitive with Home Depot or Lowes. So I go to either. I prefer Lowes because they have next day delivery, but sometimes Home Depot runs a special buy deal.

It's funny that someone thinks Sears still has some effect on the competition. Home Depot and Lowes are the competition on prices.

We have one left … he gives 10% off for cash … free installation and haul off … got a nice Maytag W&D from him and this looks like my way forward …

Our 5 family owned appliance stores are all gone. I've found Best Buy to be the Best. It used to be employer buying clubs.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
Our 5 family owned appliance stores are all gone. I've found Best Buy to be the Best. It used to be employer buying clubs.

Yes I got my last washer at Best Buy they beat the HD and Lowes price.

Looked at the Maytag but it didn't have a real agitator that's like having a car without an oil pump!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Appliances are one of the most competitive segments. Never bought from a sears, HD or Lowes, because appliances are the one place where you can still get competitively priced us-made items from mom and pop businesses.
Mom and pop selling speed queen.

Whirlpool sees the writing on the wall that Sears is going to be done, period before long. The same old death spiral that sent Montgomery Ward and K Mart to their graves.

My parents had a top load speed Queen washer that they got in 1970 . Nothing fancy hot, cold warm, temps, heavy duty, normal and delicate wash options, no fancy computer buttons ,it just worked and washed 2-3 loads of clothes every day for 3 decades. Dad had to replace the start switch once or twice and that was it. A few years ago we replaced a money pit front load $500.00 Whirlpool duet with a 20 year old rebuilt Speed Queen top loader that we bought for $210.00 at a used appliance shop. It works perfectly and I fully expect it to go at least a decade. A 20 year old Speed queen is 10 times the machine these overpriced fancy front loaders are. Kind of hardto find used because people do not like to get rid of them and why should they...they are so relaible. Roper is another good old brand similar to speed queen. Roper does not have all of the fancy computers either ..it just works.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Whirlpool sees the writing on the wall that Sears is going to be done, period before long. The same old death spiral that sent Montgomery Ward and K Mart to their graves.

K Mart was a Sears induced grave and Sears didn't learn the lesson!

Sears Canada is already dead. I have a 10yo direct drive front load LG washer that works great. Right beside it lives a 46yo kenmore dryer. Avocado green and still rockin. Both can be good. Front loaders need their filters drained and cleaned.

This isn't the complete picture. Apparently this split is about the purchase and resale of Whirlpool branded appliances at Sears. Other stories mention that Whirlpool hasn't ended its relationship with Sears to make their Kenmore branded appliances.

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/busi...with-whirlpool/
“Whirlpool has sought to use its dominant position in the marketplace to make demands that would have prohibited us from offering Whirlpool products to our members at a reasonable price,” Sears said in a memo to employees last week. “Associates should continue to sell with confidence our Kenmore brand.” (Whirlpool will continue to manufacture at least some Kenmore appliances for Sears, although both companies declined to provide specifics.)

I bought a Kenmore refrigerator years ago. It had a sticker saying that it had technology that won a special efficiency award. I remember reading about it, and that was Whirlpool that won that award.

So what will Kenmore appliances be now? G.E. or Fridigaire? This will be the end of sears appliance sales, if they only have that junk to sell.

Some Kenmore was G.E. but you could look at it and tell the G.E. from the Whirlpool.

I also find best buy to be a good source, I am remodeling my kitchen and i am going with samsung for everthing, except the dishwasher, which is whirlpool and does not need replacing yet.

Sears is DONE...it's only a matter of time. In the only Sears close by to me-they reduced the square footage of the store by 50%. And a Burlington Coat Factory moved in to the other 50%.

Our whirlpool gas dryer is from 1964 and still works fine. Just replaced the belt earlier this year since there was a lot of slack in it. Our Whirlpool washer is from the 1970s and also works great.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Sears Canada is already dead.

I went to Sears here over a year ago. I thought it was dead at that time, already. There was no signage in the stores, nothing directing you to different departments. Displays were empty. What a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back