Grinds my gears - TV Ad's during program

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting really sick at paying a premium to have a TV Subscription and not only do the networks play an unacceptable amount of commercials which has gotten far worse over the decades but now they are popping up banners during the program you are watching to advertise for products/services.

NO, NO, NO!
mad.gif

If this continues it will be a big fat cancellation for me and downloading from here on out.

Then they wonder why they loose 200,000 subscribers a year in Canada alone.

Last edited:
So you either will, you won't, or you'll [censored].

You chose the 3rd option.

Act, or get off the pot.

Agreed 100 percent - the commercials are ridiculously long and the pop-ups during shows is even worse! I pay 180.00 month for tv and internet with ATT. Wish I could cut the cord!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So you either will, you won't, or you'll [censored].

You chose the 3rd option.

Act, or get off the pot.

I just got to this point... So I have complained to our CRTC (FCC Equivalent) and the networks and the Telco. If they choose not to act then I will cancel.

I have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will respond positively first. If not then I will vote with my wallet.

So it's not a act or get off the pot situation. I'm just venting about it and have taken the first steps.
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
How is this a regulatory issue? In the US the only limits on commercials are during kids' programs. Are you watching Pokemon?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: kpatter
Agreed 100 percent - the commercials are ridiculously long and the pop-ups during shows is even worse! I pay 180.00 month for tv and internet with ATT. Wish I could cut the cord!

Honestly I can find everything I want online through "those" channels but I choose not to because it costs money to make these things and I get that and I don't want to kill an industry (especially a Canadian Film/TV Industry that is a good part of our local economy) but at the same time I'm not going to make networks rich at my expense of being annoyed with advertisements so this is the last straw for me.

I can't get Hulu etc. here but I might just get my brother to get a subscription in Boston and I will use it here with a VPN and do it that way. Just don't know if they have the most current programming etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
How is this a regulatory issue? In the US the only limits on commercials are during kids' programs. Are you watching Pokemon?
laugh.gif

In Canada the CRTC listens and will take the feedback to the networks. They have taken far less stuff on with public complaint. They are quite sensitive because of the revenue it generates for them from the backs of networks.
wink.gif

Welcome to the logic Ive been saying since the late 90s. (I believe we're about the same age btw).

FM radio has gotten even worse the last few years. But you're not paying for that...

The crazy thing is I can PVR everything and fast-forward through it, so what's the point. Who honestly watches the commercials and has them affect their buying decisions anymore. I mean really?

Commercials give us a chance to go to the bathroom or get something to eat to avoid the commercial. most times the commercials are better than the programs.

Wait... banner ads on TV? Literally just like in the movie Idiocracy? At a time when people are already cutting the cord in record numbers?

The cable companies now are raising rates if you only buy internet from them. The cord cutters are making the profits decline for Comcast, Cox, TW, etc.

And they have the nerve to implement data caps so they can milk another $30 for you to get unlimited data.

I'm all for free markets but most cable companies exist via the regional monopoly business model. This means they can throw a tantrum whenever they aren't dictating revenue flow and start charging you for random things to make up for the money you used to spend on TV.

And there's not much that can be done. You could go with cellular data but that is subject to caps and costs more for less speeds. If you're lucky then you might live some place where fiber is available but that's a slow rollout.

Was watching White Men Can't Jump last night. 10 minutes of movie, 5 minutes of commercials. Over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back