1000 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be putting my car into storage soon. I have always changed the oil and filter right before putting it away. Well this time around the snow is already here and I only have 1000 miles on my synthetic oil and Honda filter. I'm considering not changing it as it is still quite new. The car is driven primarily to work and back (21 miles each way) so it isn't short tripped.

What do you think?

Yeah leave it in there, it will be fine. As many have suggested before on other posts, might be wise to put some fuel additive in the tank. The oil though should be fine, dont waste your money.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Are you storing the car to save it from the salt ?

Yes, Minnesota loves to salt! That junk destroys cars.

I'll leave the oil in there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Yes, Minnesota loves to salt! That junk destroys cars.

How do you know when it's safe to bring the car out of storage and start driving the car again ?

Can you visually see when there's no more salt on the roads ?

I do the same thing with 2 of my cars. They will just rot into the ground if you drive in the winter here.

I always leave the oil and change it in the spring, if warranted by mileage. Otherwise I just run it.

You probably have 80-90% of the original TBN still in that oil. It will be fine. Change it again at the beginning of next summer...or even next Sept/October.

If it gives you peace of mind, change it after the next set of rains washes the roads clear of sand/salt. Then a final drive(s) before parking it.

well, my brother is about to put his 2015 Chally back into storage for the 2nd winter in a row,(just moved back here to the salt belt in mid '16) and it still has the FF in it. (less than 2500mi on the odometer.)
he keeps waffling back and forth on just selling it....

This is the 4th winter I've put it in storage so I have a pretty long checklist of things that I do.

Yeah, salt will make the roads white so it is very easy to see if it's on there or not. I usually wait for a couple good rainfalls before I take it out.

Last winter I had about 2200 miles on the oil and I went ahead and changed it but at only 1000 the oil still looks new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back