Does castrol edge 0w30 perform like a 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the specs of the castrol edge 0w30 and it seems like the specs are closer to a 0w40.
I'm looking for a good 0w30 for my truck for winter. It normally takes 5w30 all the time. If castrol edge actually performs like a 40 would that be better or worse for winter? Around -30 celcius

Edge 0w-30 is a high HT/HS viscosity oil (3.5cP+). If your engine does not require such oil, then there is no point in running it, IMO. You may be better off with something like M1 0w-30 instead.

Another XW-30 that has an HT/HS of 3.5 is Mobil 1 HM 10W-30. IMO, if you already have the Edge 0W-30 i'd use it. If not, the Mobil 1 0W-30, mentioned by QP above, would be a great choice for severe winter conditions.

Yes, the Edge(at least the last version of Castrol 0w-30) did perform essentially like a 0w-40, especially the current concoctions of Edge/M1.

Have a very high mileage truck that has to be worn beyond most and runs well on 40wt when warmed up. However, even after 250k miles, still notice a big difference on startup greatly favoring the 30wt until warm, then all seems relatively the same. If your a short tripper, definitely stay 30wt.

Originally Posted By: apollo18
so that means its better to go with 0w30 amsoil signature?

Who are you talking to, and what are you referencing IRT Amsoil?

The 0w-30 Castrol Edge is a high-vis 30 on the hot side, close enough to call it a 40 weight. It's inaccurate to make the assumption that a 0w-30 will flow better than a 5w-30 when cold. The 0w just tells you the oil can maintain a pumpable viscosity (someone can chime in with exact numbers) when super cold, it doesn't tell you what happens in between. Most of our cold temps in the US are 0-40F. An oil on the thin side of a xw-30 will generally perform much better in these cold temps than a xw-30 that is on the thicker side. Same goes for 0w-40's, they are thicker in "our" cold temps, generally, than something thinner at a hot temp. I hope that makes sense. The more narrow you can make the spread (5w-30 as opposed to 5w-40, and sometimes even 0w-30) the more ideal it will be for first thing in the morning cold starts. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Originally Posted By: apollo18
I was looking at the specs of the castrol edge 0w30 and it seems like the specs are closer to a 0w40.

What kind of 5w-30 are you normally running? Purchase by price. If you're running a synthetic already, something like Mobil 1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40 come in bigger containers and at better prices. Yes, as Quattro Pete mentioned, they (and Castrol 0w-30) are a bit thicker at operating temperature than what you're running. All the 0w-XX oils will have better pumpability in extreme cold. Another option is Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30, which would only be available at a distributor, but at very good prices. Petro-Canada also has PCMO and HDEO 0w-30 options.

My biggest beef with Castrol 0w-30 is the one litre containers, which get expensive in Canada, as I'm sure you're well aware.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
The 0w-30 Castrol Edge is a high-vis 30 on the hot side, close enough to call it a 40 weight. It's inaccurate to make the assumption that a 0w-30 will flow better than a 5w-30 when cold. The 0w just tells you the oil can maintain a pumpable viscosity (someone can chime in with exact numbers) when super cold, it doesn't tell you what happens in between. Most of our cold temps in the US are 0-40F. An oil on the thin side of a xw-30 will generally perform much better in these cold temps than a xw-30 that is on the thicker side. Same goes for 0w-40's, they are thicker in "our" cold temps, generally, than something thinner at a hot temp. I hope that makes sense. The more narrow you can make the spread (5w-30 as opposed to 5w-40, and sometimes even 0w-30) the more ideal it will be for first thing in the morning cold starts. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Good points. I've used both M1 5w-30 and 0w-40 in one of my cars. And for my typical cold start nearly all year round, the 5w-30 has the better low flow specs. Though at -40 to -35 deg C, the 0w would win out.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Good points. I've used both M1 5w-30 and 0w-40 in one of my cars. And for my typical cold start nearly all year round, the 5w-30 has the better low flow specs. Though at -40 to -35 deg C, the 0w would win out.

So many people blindly assume that 0w must be better than 5w, for cold temps. Couldn't be further from the truth. M1 0w-40 is thicker at 32F than M1 5w-30, and even M1 10w-30. Castrol makes a 5w-50, it will be far thicker at 0-32F than any 5w-30 or 10w-30. If I were concerned about cold starts primarily, I'd choose a good 5w-30 or 0w-30 that is is on the thin side-- generally those are the ones without ACEA A3 rating.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

So many people blindly assume that 0w must be better than 5w, for cold temps.

I think with the acknowledged caveat that we are looking at oils within the same grade and classification (GF-5 for example), generally (not always) a 0w-xx will have a more gentle curve to it, due to it having to meet the CCS and MRV requirements for the designation.

Couldn't be further from the truth. M1 0w-40 is thicker at 32F than M1 5w-30, and even M1 10w-30.

I would bloody well hope so, it is a 40 being compared to two energy conserving xw-30's. When you start getting down toward the limits of the 20w or 15w designation, you might see it thicken less, but even that's not guaranteed. We just know the other two won't pass CCS and MRV at -35C and -40C respectively.

Of course, I wouldn't call 32F cold. Location is important when making that qualifier. "Cold" in Florida means something quite different from "cold" in Winnipeg.

The OP listed his location as Canada and gave a floor temperature of -30C, which is the CCS limit for the 5w-xx designation and the MRV limit for the 10w-xx one. At that temperature the 0w-xx, even in a heavier grade, is almost a guarantee as to ending up on top, which can be easily estimated by taking the CCS and MRV values and cutting them in half to get their 5w-xx versions, and in half again to get their 10w-xx ones.

Castrol makes a 5w-50, it will be far thicker at 0-32F than any 5w-30 or 10w-30.

Yeah, being an xw-50, of course it would be.

If I were concerned about cold starts primarily, I'd choose a good 5w-30 or 0w-30 that is is on the thin side-- generally those are the ones without ACEA A3 rating.

Unless of course your vehicle calls for an oil with an HTHS >=3.5cP
wink.gif

Overkill, I appreciate your elaboration. Indeed, at very cold temps, the 0w and 5w are important considerations. My post was intended to illustrate that 0w, 5w, are not concrete definitions of cold temp performance, of which many reading this forum are well aware, some not. I run into the misconception that 0w-x is better than 5w-x in winter quite often. There are tons of variables- even 5w vs 5w is sometimes an apples to oranges comparison due to overall grade and classification.

We also have to remember, though, that flow isn't lubrication, and if the oil is pumpable at a certain ambient temperature, you're not going to get the oil circulating any faster by having it thinner. If a 10w-30 is able to pump at the ambient temperature, the 5w-30 isn't going to make a difference, nor will a 10w-40.

No multigrade on the shelf is going to be struggling even at -10 C, and that's talking a 20w-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back