Wisdom Teeth Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some time now, my regular dentist has been strongly encouraging me to go to an oral surgeon and have my wisdom teeth pulled. The wisdom teeth are still below the gum line, but according to x-rays, they're at an angle and at risk of impacting my other teeth. He keeps saying this will lead to infections and to pull them out now because pulling them much later in life can be problematic.

I just don't know if it's a scare tactic to drum up business, or if this is really something I should have proactively removed. I am not in any kind of pain currently, and I have regular x-rays done. Part of me says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but on the other hand, I don't want to ignore what may be a valid medical advice.

What would you do? Pull them now? Keep them until issues arise?

I am in my early 40s.

Thanks!

My dentist told me the same thing for years. Mine came in fine but they were so far back and under my inner cheeks that I couldn't physically get a toothbrush back there. I went ahead and had them pulled and they had already started to decay. (I was 27) I'd say do it now before it becomes an actual problem.

I had mine removed when I was 19, similar situation where they hadn't erupted yet but were growing at a crazy angle toward the ones in front of them. I wasn't in pain either, but I was assured that I would be once they hit the neighboring teeth. Wasn't a pleasant experience even though they knocked me out to remove them, and after the stitches fell out I had these pits where the teeth were that would catch food particles and drive me up the wall. Took months for them to close up. Still, probably better than letting them go. Plan on eating soft stuff for a day or two if you decide to get them out.

My lower wisdom teeth were impacted [horizontal] and starting to get very close the roots of the second molars... they where below the gum line. The upper wisdom teeth where "normal", but not erupted. I had just the lowers removed as the uppers weren't posing any near threat in my late 20s.

Get a second opinion like anything else.

Tough question! I am facing a similar experience and have had my wisdom teeth examined also. I tend to think like you - If it ain't broke! Are you experiencing issues now? If not...

You're going to hear all sorts of opinions here... Follow your "gut" as you know your body far better than anyone. I'd get a second opinion if possible. That's what I am doing in my case. Good Luck!

I only had two on the bottoms and had them removed at around 22-23. It was also recommended since my lower teeth weren't able to be cleaned properly and could have caused decay. The oral surgeon wasn't able to get the whole tooth out on the one side, so now I sometimes have issues with different motorcycle helmets causing pain from the root being pressured in an awkward way.

In terms of diet I just bought jars of random baby food to keep me sustained. I started consuming them after I stopped puking blood.
sick.gif

In my situation the short term discomfort was worth it.

Being blessed with good teeth, I did not even go to a dentist until I was 20. After the Xray the dentist came back and said he'd never seen anything like it before, but my wisdom teeth were coming in perfectly straight and that i would never need to have them removed and to walk out on any dentist that said otherwise.

Several years later I moved out west and got health coverage and a dental plan, After the Xray the dentist came back, showed me some X rays with multiple fillings( I have none), and wisdom teeth coming in at nearly a 90 degree angle, and recommended I get them removed ASAP, as they were "time bombs', and had already scheduled up a tentative date for surgery.

That was 20 years ago.
I still have my wisdom teeth at 46.

Mine came in fine but I wanna gag when I brush them. I have had three cavities filled so far and all three are in my wisdom teeth. It was suggested I have them pulled.

I was in that exact same situation about 15 years ago. My dentist, using a metal scraper, extracted some of the gunk that was thriving between the "top" of the impacted wisdom tooth and the root of my rear molar. That was enough convincing for me.

Unfortunately the oral surgeon, who had indicated this was a possibility after looking at my X-ray, "nicked" a nerve in my jaw which resulted in a few square inches of my jaw remaining numb for well over a year. To this day it still feels a bit odd.

Hello QP how have you been??

Well, if this is worth anything to you I am in my mid 40's and have my top wisdom teeth still but not my bottom ones. Bottom ones were crowding my teeth and had to be pulled. My Dentist has told me over the years, if they are not bothering you, leave them be. So I have.

If you have pain, or a cavity in one they usually will tell you to pull them. If they are good, or if they are impacted but causing you no pain or discomfort? Let them be.

Just my ten cents.

Jeff

I had all 4 of mine removed when I was 20 because they were badly impacted and got infected. You are 40 and it's just a "risk" I would seek a second or third opinion before going through the trouble and expense.
wink.gif

My wisdom teeth seem to have crowded the other teeth to the point that many of them are crooked and over lapping. I wish I had had mine removed years ago. I thought that it was unnatural to have them removed but I regret keeping them all these years.

Pull all 4 of mine out, they were literally growing horizontally. Dentist said that the roots have grown into the nerves and there is a minor chance that if the surgery didn't go well I can permanently lose my feeling on my jaw. I took the chance and things went well. Was swelling for almost a week though and it hurt like [censored].

As a parttime job, I managed a dental office for a dentist friend that had health problems.

My wife grew up in the business because of a dentist uncle. She went on to become a registered nurse (RN), then a certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) working in an oral surgery office. She looked at my statement below and agreed with my statements.

Our policy was to obviously remove them if there was an immediate problem.

Then the question becomes if there are no immediate problems but there appears to be a problem in the near future as in when they "come in", based on an exam and xrays, remove them.

After that, we would remove them to prevent specific adult age problems that often occur based on an a current exam and xrays. The slightest chance of a problem should be justifaction enough.

Finally you can just remove them now because they might cause problems as an adult even with no evidense of a problem, now. Adulthood problems are common enough that its worth considering their removal. They can come in without any problem. They will not "crowd" the rest of the teeth.

If you elect not to remove them and you do have a problem as an adult it might just be a real big problem with a lot of pain, an infection and be expensive and time consuming to resolve.

If you have them removed, follow post op instructions faithfully. Pay attention and do exactly as instructed by the dentist. Do not leave the office without understanding the instructions. They will hand you written instructions but it might be a good idea to take your own notes. These instructions are that important. A dry socket is no fun.

QP, get them removed.

My wife is a Dentist. Her humble advise? You will avoid quite a few issues down the road, if they are in fact compacted, by removing them soon. Mine were and they had to break the lower ones into pieces to remove some years ago. Sounded like celery sticks breaking.

I had mine out when I was 16. I was having lots of pain in the front of my jaw and my front teeth were starting to shingle. They showed me the x-ray and it showed the wisdom teeth just ender the gums, coming in at about a 45 degree angle. They said they were pushing all the other teeth together because there was no room in my jaw. Had them out shortly after and the pain I was feeling was gone almost right away.

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you elect not to remove them and you do have a problem as an adult it might just be a real big problem with a lot of pain,

Well, at 40+, I'd like to think that I am an adult already, although my wife would probably disagree sometimes.

The thought "if it ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't hold when it comes to health. If the wisdom teeth are poised to be a future problem, they need to come out now before the damage is done. Once you notice problems and feel pain it could be too late.

Make sure you get a diagnosis that you are comfortable with, whether it's from your trusted dentist or if need a second opinion.

Well, I'm scheduled for a consultation with an oral surgeon in about a week to discuss it, but I'm pretty sure I already know what he's going to say.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I had all 4 of mine removed when I was 20 because they were badly impacted and got infected. You are 40 and it's just a "risk" I would seek a second or third opinion before going through the trouble and expense.
wink.gif

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back