Long Term Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend bought a second home in Florida where he will live during winter. He will keep one car in New York and one in Florida. He asked me if he should put cars up on jacks. I did not know but a quick google search says it would be a good idea primarily to keep weight off bearings. I would be concerned about letting suspension hang. So, should he put car on jack stands? Should he let wheels hang? Thanks.

Main thing IMO is to not flat spot the tires. Up on jack stands, high enough to take some weight off the wheels but not get to full extension.

More importantly, there should be some fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

What kind of car? Ditto on not letting the suspension stay fully extended, but if you can block it up out under the control arms (or whatever it has) I don't think the bearings are going to care much one way or the other but the tires are more likely to stay round. Fill it up with ethanol free gas and time the oil change to be fairly fresh before she's mothballed.

They make tire chocks specifically for preventing flatspotting. I wouldn't be too concerned about the bearings. +1 on filling up with ethanol free gas.

If possible, putting the car on stands would be good, not with the suspension at full extension, but somewhere in between. I'd suggest overinflating the tires as well, something like 50 psi. Like the others have said, I would put in some stabilizer in the tank and top it off full, probably connect a battery tender, make sure the vents are in recirculate mode, and maybe block off the exhaust and other vent holes. I might throw down a few mothballs around the car too. Just to nitpick, I might make sure the parking brake is disengaged as well. In the end, I don't think 6 months is a particularly long time, I would bet, other than possible flat spots (that might just round out after a few miles), the cars would work just fine.

Here are my recommendations to prepare car for winter/long term storage. I was in the marine industry for years and the proper winterization of boats was important. Some of my suggestions come from that experience:

1. Change the engine oil and filter prior to storage. Used oil contains chemical contaminants that can cause corrosion to internal engine parts during long periods of storage.

2. Put a fuel stabilizer in your gas tank. I recommend StarTron. It is particularly effective for preserving ethanol fuels up to 2 years. Boats and yachts often sit for long periods of time without use. Never heard of a single fuel related issue for those using StarTron. Actually, I use Startron in all my vehicles year around to prevent fuel problems from occurring.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

3. Make sure the gas tank is 95% full when stored (leave some room for expansion when the weather gets warmer). This prevents open space in the tank that can allow condensation to form and run into the fuel under certain atmospheric conditions. A full tank greatly reduces the risk of this occurring. Some people will advise you to empty your gas tank for before storing a vehicle. Empty gas tanks will accumulate condensation and you will have water in the tank over time. I would NEVER advise anyone to store a vehicle with an empty tank UNLESS they were prepared to drain the water out before use. Very hard to do for most cars (and boats).

4. Get an intelligent battery maintainer that will keep the battery charged but automatically regulate the current to prevent overcharging. I use a CTEK Multi US 7002. Very good piece of equipment. I also leave the battery in the car.

http://smartercharger.com/products/batterychargers/ctek-multi-us-7002/

5. Check the engine coolant levels. Test the coolant for proper anti-freeze protection levels. If the coolant is bad, flush the system and add new coolant.

6. Inflate the tires to the correct pressure. Use Flatstoppers to prevent flat spots on your tires

http://www.autogeek.net/tire-supports.html

7. Chock the back wheels (I use large rubber chocks) to prevent the car from rolling. Release the emergency brake. If left on for long periods, the metallic brake pads can fuse to the rotors.

8. Wash the car and apply a good protective coat of polish.

9. A car cover to keep the dust out is OK as long as it is porous and can breath. Heavy, non-porous covers allow moisture to collect underneath and corrosion can result. This is true for both indoor and outdoor storage under a cover.

10. If you live in a damp area or store the car in a damp area. Put some No-Damp canisters in the interior to absorb any moisture that gets in. If you have a heated garage, this is not necessary.

http://www.starbrite.com/category/no-damp-dehumidifier

11. If you have a rodent problem, cover the exhaust pipes to prevent the critters from building a nest inside. Rodents can also chew up wires and get into other places in the car and cause havoc. I recommend mouse/rat traps if the circumstances warrant. Another alternative is to get a garage dwelling tom cat. Your dog cannot help you with a rodent problem.

12. Once you have the car completely prepared for storage, I do not recommend starting it until spring. Boat engines do not get started during storage and they do just fine in the spring. If you feel you must then I would run the car for at least 15 - 20 minutes. If the roads are clear of snow, sand, and salt, then a 20 minute drive would be ideal.

Good luck!!

Dave

For only 6 months I wouldn't do anything with the suspension for tires. Ditto to the fuel stabilizer, tires inflated to max pressure, anti-rodent devices, battery tender and/or removal etc. There are numerous detailed threads on line concerning this topic.

You could volunteer to drive it once a month. To work or for a 50 mile trip.

That would be best.

Otherwise BatteryMinder on battery and STARTRON stabilizer in the gas.

For storage in FL in summer, the better BatteryMinder that has hot temp compensation and Startron in gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back