Tanaka OPE

I have been in the market for a gas hedge trimmer for several months. I normally buy new and love the Stihl lineup but my local Stihl dealer wanted around $400 for a new hedge trimmer.

I started watching CL and it seemed like everything was priced sky high or just flat worn out. Then I ran across an ad for a Tanaka. I have heard of them but I have never had one.

They seem to have a good reputation and I bought this one for $80 and it runs great but needs a new gas tank. I have already trimmed the foliage around our front porch! Any info or insights about what I have just acquired would be appreciated. Here are a few pics...
2017-10-26%2004.25.35-L.jpg

2017-10-26%2004.25.15-L.jpg

2017-10-26%2004.25.58-L.jpg

Tanaka make excellent two cycle equipment. You've likely got a better used Tanaka than a new Stihl. If I had a choice, I'd take the used Tanaka any day over a Stihl.

Other excellent less well known two cycle engines are Zenoah Komatsu/Redmax and Shindaiwa. Anything made by them is a good bet used provided it's been taken care of.

It's commonly known that all the Tanaka equipment manufactured prior to the Hitachi takeover is good stuff. After Hitachi took over, it's now home owner grade.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's commonly known that all the Tanaka equipment manufactured prior to the Hitachi takeover is good stuff. After Hitachi took over, it's now home owner grade.

I wonder what date that occurred?!?

All of my experience with Tanaka is with chainsaws,
all more than 10 years old - -
They are VERY well made and will last 20-30 years with care, easily.

I've got a small Tanaka top handled chain saw that's been great. I bought it around 2010 IIRC. I don't think I've ever heard a complaint in regards to Tanaka OPE. The only one I've ever worked on is mine. Basic maintenance stuff.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Does it have an air bag?

That's Takata, close but no soup for you

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Does it have an air bag?

That's Takata, close but no soup for you

90d.jpg

Thanks for the feedback fellas. It sounds like it is a quality piece and it runs fine but I'm pretty sure that it's got some age on it.

As I mentioned, it needs a fuel tank as the original one is crazed and has hairline cracks but as far as I can tell the fuel tank is no longer available. You guys continue to surprise me so maybe one of you has a secret source for parts.
21.gif

The model number is THT-200 and the fuel tank part number is 5910639W201.

Maybe the fuel tank for the string trimmer version of that engine will fit and bolt up for you.

I looked around, and could not find a tank for you, used or new. You may have to do some hack repair to your tank, or cobble some other tank to fit. If you find a broken unit, the THT-200, THT-212, and THT-230 use the same tank.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Maybe the fuel tank for the string trimmer version of that engine will fit and bolt up for you.

Good idea, I'll look into that.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I looked around, and could not find a tank for you, used or new. You may have to do some hack repair to your tank, or cobble some other tank to fit. If you find a broken unit, the THT-200, THT-212, and THT-230 use the same tank.

Thanks for looking, I'll figure something out!

I was using some JB Weld two part epoxy on another project and had more than enough left over to attempt a half baked repair of the gas tank.

It seemed to seal and I have used the trimmer twice since the repair. It's not pretty but so far so good.

2017-11-25%2003.32.40-L.jpg

Given the leak isn't on a seam, that repair may be a fix!

If the tank is brittle, maybe not so much. See how it goes. With light residential use, it could last as long as you need it to.

Back