High Mileage Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I am new to posting on a site like this. I do have a question as I have read conflicting thoughts on this issue. I currently have 2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L. It has only seen oil changes using M1 or M1EP since we have had it. It currently has 90K miles on it with no leaks at all. I have been reading that I should have changed to M1 High Mileage around the 75k mark. Should I change to M1 High Mileage now? Will something happen to my engine seals if I make the change? Just to get some "high fives", I do my own oil changes on this car (it was fun finding out that I had to buy a special oil filter cap to get the housing off). I thank you all for your insight in this matter.

Thanks.

It won't hurt but no reason to or not either. Use which ever is easier to find/cheaper IMO.

I though my 2002 was leak free up until a couple months ago when I was tracking down PS pump weepage. Then I saw some relatively "old looking" weepage coming out of the crank and lower timing chain cover. I'll be switching to HM oil in May. If you have absolutely zero leakage, there's no reason to switch to HM, regardless of mileage. Age of the seals is another issue which others could comment on.

For a different POV:

Switch to the HM oil. Better to prevent than try and put a band-aid on it once it starts leaking. I switched to HM at 75,000miles on my truck and now at 145k no leaks and no burning. I'm pretty happy with that considering I drive it like a race car.

High-mileage oils aren't like stop-leak that just gums up the system to stop leaks - the additives actually help the seals. So, that being said, there's no reason not to switch to a HM oil and it'll only do your engine good even though I don't consider 90K "high mileage" and the 75K number on oil bottles is just an arbitrary marketing statement. If it doesn't leak or use a lot there's no express purpose to use a HM formulation but it won't hurt anything. My Cruze has 106K and with regular Valvoline Synpower there's only the slightest accumulation of gunk around the valve cover and zero consumption so I'm in no hurry to move up to the Maxlife full syn.

Originally Posted By: Sleepeyes
Switch to the HM oil. Better to prevent than try and put a band-aid on it once it starts leaking.

+1 You can use high mileage oil from day one in a brand new car and it won't hurt a thing.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Don't use it unless its really needed.

Not sure i really agree with that video.

Is he saying that HM Oil will make the seals bigger than they were originally designed to be?

Just because something is on YouTube doesn't automatically mean its factual

Absolutely fine for use in any vehicle. Almost all current HM oils hold current certifications/approvals. That Pat Goss video is a little dated.

I used Pennzoil HM in my 98 chevy K3500 with the 7.4L to try and stop a couple of leaks that were actually dripping and it stopped the drips so I'm a believer in them. I also wouldn't hesitate to use a HM oil in a vehicle that doesn't leak.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Absolutely fine for use in any vehicle. Almost all current HM oils hold current certifications/approvals. That Pat Goss video is a little dated.

That and most chain stores price them the same as their non-HM counterparts. Valvoline 0w20 FS HM costs the exact same as Valvoline 0w20 FS. I have noticed that usually sales don't apply to HM but it isn't a hard fast rule. Even then it is a difference of a couple of bucks (and if that is going to make or break you then you have much bigger issues...).

Originally Posted By: Sleepeyes
Originally Posted By: wemay

That and most chain stores price them the same as their non-HM counterparts. Valvoline 0w20 FS HM costs the exact same as Valvoline 0w20 FS. I have noticed that usually sales don't apply to HM but it isn't a hard fast rule. Even then it is a difference of a couple of bucks (and if that is going to make or break you then you have much bigger issues...).

I notice that Walmart has this one on Rollback.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-High-Mileage-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17018131

I picked up a couple of these last spring.

Last edited:
If you have no issues why would you go out of spec. High mileage is a good oil but not necessarily needed until your car shows signs of wear and leak. If the car has no leak and it is using oil between changes I would not do it.

Last edited:
Personally I'd just stick to what's working. U have a solid Toyota engineered motor. I would consider high mileage oil if I had an issue like consumption or leaks. High mileage oils are almost always more expensive and harder to find.

And as said previously 90k ain't nothing for that engine

Just switch to HM oil on the next OCI. HM oils have a special 'lotion' for rubber seals to keep them from drying out. When seals dry out they shrink. When they shrink you get leaks.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just switch to HM oil on the next OCI. HM oils have a special 'lotion' for rubber seals to keep them from drying out. When seals dry out they shrink. When they shrink you get leaks.

This all sounds strangely Freudian...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back