How long is oil good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my vehicle takes 6 quarts if I open a jug and and use a quart out of it and leave it on the shelf is that Oil good for any length of period time?

Kept from contaminates and off the floor in cold climates for a couple of years. You can also see the manufacture date on the container to see how old the oil actually is.

Originally Posted By: jxthomps
So my vehicle takes 6 quarts if I open a jug and and use a quart out of it and leave it on the shelf is that Oil good for any length of period time?

With the top back on, indefinitely. There's a post on here somewhere, IIRC someone used a 10-year-old open jug of oil. Just going to your next oil change? I've done this numerous times - no issues.

Originally Posted By: jxthomps

javascript: void(0)
There are apparently two commonly quoted industry stories on this.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/172/lubricant-storage-life

(a) A year
(b) infinity

I'm not sure what "any length of period time?" means, but I think you're covered.

A year is quite obviously completely bogus.

UOA's on oil 5-20 yrs old from vehicles rarely driven, have turned out pretty good. So one would assume fresh oil sitting sealed in the jug for that length of time is even better.

Depends on if the jug freezes (cold gelation) and if it is exposed to direct sunlight. If neither, plolly until your unborn finish college
smile.gif

I had some Valvoline Synpower sitting around for at least 8 years and they were still good. The bottle started degrading and I can see oil stain on the outside though. I figure the bottle may be the limiting factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back