Changing oil before storing car for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the cold weather is here its almost time to put my convertible away before the snow starts flying. Its stored in a heated building on a friends farm and I install a set of steelies with worn tires so I don't get flat spots on my good Michelin Premier A/S tires. I have a question when it comes to changing the oil. I will change it right before I put it away and when I pull it from storage in the spring ill change it again. Is there any reason to use a good oil/filter for this purpose? I typically use SynPower or Mobile 1, whichever is the better deal. Would using Supertech Syn w/ a cheap filter be suitable for winter storage and then go to my usual quality Syn w/ Mobile 1 filter in the spring? I've always use Syn in it since day 1, and im proud to say I have a sludge free Chrysler 2.7 with 140,000 one owner miles on it.

I think you would be fine changing the oil, using ST synthetic, just before storing the vehicle.
I think it's foolish to change it again when you take it out of storage (the oil will not degrade over a few months of non-use). The 2.7 is a known sludger so frequent OCs are a good idea....I'd use a decent filter (which would include the ST Wix made filter) and ST syn. and change it every 5K....

If it were me, I'd change it this fall before storage with whatever oil and filter you plan on using next year. Obviously it's not my car, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to change brand new oil in the spring.

If you were closer, I'd tell you that you should change the oil in the spring and I'd put your "old" oil in my cars. But yeah, if that's what you want to do, you could literally use whatever oil and filter you want to.

Change before storage, not driving the vehicle, then changing again? Makes no sense. Just change it prior to storage and drive away in the spring. More important to put some fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

I appreciate the feedback. Ill just use my regular oil/filter and then not worry about changing it again in the spring. Thanks!

I have 2 UOA's showing that changing the oil before winter storage and not changing in the spring and running for a full OCI (ended up being 13 months), is no worse than not storing the car and just running the same oil for the same miles over a shorter time. Your new plan to store with your normal oil and not change in the spring is a good one.

If it were me, I'd also drive the tank empty and fill up with some ethanol free gas before putting the car away.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
If it were me, I'd also drive the tank empty and fill up with some ethanol free gas before putting the car away.
Fuel systems are seal nowadays. I store one of my cars every winter. All I ever do is put some fuel stabilizer in, fill it up and disconnect the battery.

Not all states have Ethanol free Gas though? For the States that do....Lucky You
19.gif

Jeff

No need. Won’t make a bit of difference. I’ve kept oil in a car for 4 years. It was lightly driven and stored during the winter.

On my bikes, I dump the oil, add new oil, but I don't change the filter. I don't run the bike afterwards, so I figure anything corrosive in the old oil will stay in the filter.

I think Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha recommend a filter change every second oil change for many of their bikes, so there's that...

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Not all states have Ethanol free Gas though? For the States that do....Lucky You
19.gif

I have to drive 40 miles but I found a station that has ethanol free premium. Thankfully I'm only that far from a non-mandated blend area. Others are less fortunate.

I usually just change it in the spring only, but I only drive that car about 1,500 miles a year.

Do you let your oil reach a point where it's actually corrosive? Doubt it. So it doesn't matter if you leave the old(ish) stuff behind.

That's kinda hard to preach so change it in the fall and enjoy that same sump in the spring.
19.gif

Re gasoline engine storage.

Is it not wise to run the fuel system completely empty for storage (if you can).

Then, come Spring or whenever, you pour 3 gallons of fresh gas into it and use a battery booster if need be and crank it til it starts.

No chance of jellied gas or alcohol eating small stuff. No?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back