Must an added quart be same as what's in engine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Passat uses a quart every 1200 miles. In it currently is 5W40 synthetic.
Does the next quart have to be the same, ie could I add 5W30 or SemiSynthetic
or even non-synthetic. Why not the cheaper as it's just burning it up ?

I'm disappointed as the engine has only 115k miles. The Service Adviser
gave no clear explanation as to why. Said something about the turbocharger.

You can add anything that meets the manufacturer specs, probably 505.01

Q: "Must an added quart be same as what's in engine?"

A: No, not at all. Just make sure the oil added meets specs for the engine.

To get the full benefit out of the primary oil, the added oil should be the same.

For example: If the primary oil is high mileage oil and you go and add a quart of the regular version of that same oil, you just now diluted all the special additives of the primary oil.

I would keep it topped up with something like GTX 10W-40.

Your consumption isn't too far from "normal"... But the engine may need a re-ring.

I would probably just stick with the proper spec oil but buy 5 quart jugs to save money. At that high rate of consumption you'll only need to change the filter and drain the pan every 3rd scheduled oil change I'd say.

No
laugh.gif

are you running a high mileage oil like Maxlife?

Over time it should stem the effects of oil burning by cleaning some deposits from the rings and allowing them to float again. Also check the NOAK of the oil you are using to see if it is getting hot and evaporating off. That is all the buzz about low NOAK oils.

The PCV as Askani mentioned is a place to start.

If money is an issue, Mobil 1 has a rebate right now.

If you do want to use a different oil, I would try to find a 10w40.

NO. My question is why use expensive synthetic in an engine using that much oil? Certainly it's out of warranty.

This one is easy. Assuming you do your own oil changes, you buy two jugs of oil for the first oil change. Then thereafter, you only have to buy one jug, and you'll always have a partial jug left over for top off oil. Oh, and since you are using so much, buy the cheapest oil that meets spec.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
NO. My question is why use expensive synthetic in an engine using that much oil? Certainly it's out of warranty.

The OP never mentioned using "expensive" synthetic oils. It's no problem finding synthetics on sale or on clearance for $0 to $2/qt. I just naturally assume anyone on Bitog understands that synthetics are often the cheaper alternative when it comes to major oil brands.

I would run M1 0/40FS and when its down a qt. I'd put in a qt. of M1 20/50 V-Twin oil to see if consumption went down. A 50/50 mix of this is very close to a 10/40. I know of some S2000 owners that do this(I'm one of them) and consumption went down, in some it almost went away. Down less than one qt. between oil changes.

ROD

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

Certainly two OCI with the same Full Synthetic would answer that question and it would answer the question. I'd just get some full synthetic and pull a new car under it on a car using at that rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back