Good window cleaner for 15 year old dirty glass..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a '71 Vette beater that I plan to fix up. The windows have not been cleaned in over 15 years. What's a good cleaner for this? It seems that it has a thick haze of some sort.

Newspaper and sprayway streakless cleaner. Repeat multiple times before wiping a final time with microfiber.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Distilled vinegar mixed 1:1 with hot water.

This works well. A drop of liquid dish detergent will help cut nicotine and grease.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Newspaper and sprayway streakless cleaner. Repeat multiple times before wiping a final time with microfiber.

Sprayway is by far the best glass cleaner I've ever used. The microfiber finish works well.

I recently cleaned my house windows with Turtle Wax® Chrome Polish after trying everything from sprayway, mineral spirit, paint thinner, purple cleaner, comet cleaner. I was amazed how clean it turned out. The windows had over spray paint and polyurethane when I refinished the wooden frame, and probably never been cleaned since the house was built in 1988.

I'm afraid to try on a windshield. Is there any film coating on the windshield?

I like the green vinegar Windex and 0000 steel wool for really bad glass
I also like clay
I even sometimes use glass top stove cleaner for the side glass on my truck when it gets water stains on it

I prefer Sprayway for light to moderately dirty glass. It's funny, I can tackle tricky paint correction but getting interior glass clean is like the hardest thing for me!

For my house windows and maybe a situation like this, I'd use a solution of warm water, ammonia, and a drop or two of Dawn dish soap. It works beautifully.

Best window cleaner I've ever found is Zeps. It has alcohol in it and they even checked my id last time I bought it. Comes in gallons and spray bottles.

Are we talking about the inside or outside of the car? Outside I would wash it first. Inside and/or out I would soak a microfiber in rubbing alcohol and scrub the glass. After that I would use sprayaway and new microfibers for each time you clean it. Depending on how bad it really is it might take a few rounds to get it nice and clean. Also remember to pull the window down some and get the edges. often missed

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
With that much buildup it's highly likely you will need to use a glass polish after your best efforts with Sprayway or similar. Here is one example:

Thanks to you for first mentioning this fine product many years ago.
01.gif

Sprayway is the only thing I would use on car windows.

You can still get old-school ammoniated Windex, SC Johnson doesn't make it. Amazon or a janitorial supply store will sell it as Diversey Glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back