What are symptons of automatic transmission issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a ATF change on my Hyundai Tucson 2006 which had ~ 195 000KM. The fluid was a tad dark and smelled a bit. I read at first if the fluid was in this condition changing it (as in draining only from pan, not flushing it) wouldn’t cause much issues.

But reading more info I’m getting more and more paranoid and also on the type of fluid used to. Manual calls for SP-III. Visited dealer since couldn’t find anything near me, they assured me v PENNZOIL PLATINUM LV MULTI-VEHICLE ATF
should be fine to use and mix. It’s what they have at the dealer and sold me and they told me because they are switching suppliers for their oil and stuff that there isn’t an Official Hyundai bottle and label.

So I just want to know, if it turned out to cause an issue, what would be symptoms that I should probably drain it out and get it checked. I drove it a bit hard and all and didn’t really hear any grinding or odd noises and the car moved as before. The only thing is shifting from Park to Drive car has a small clunk noise but I believe it was like this before.

Last edited:
You're supposed to change it *before* you have issues. If you change the fluid after you're already having problems, it could make things worse.

You'll *know* when your transmission is acting up!

That Pennzoil LV ATF is good stuff and will work well in your transmission
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You're supposed to change it *before* you have issues. If you change the fluid after you're already having problems, it could make things worse.

You'll *know* when your transmission is acting up!

That Pennzoil LV ATF is good stuff and will work well in your transmission
smile.gif

I didn't really have any issues before. It's just my mom gave me her car and she never changed it even though the manual stated it should have been replcaed at 165K KM so I figured I would change it.

Lol ok, I'll drive around more tomorrow hopefully everything will be good.

Check ATF color from time to time ensuring it's always pinkish and shorten OCI if need be, would be my approach is assessing whether the trans is fine.

It's tough to get an idea of how bad the fluid was.. old ATF tends to be dark in color and it almost always smells. The fluid you used is probably newer than it needs to be, but probably not a major problem. Why didn't you just buy some MaxLife ATF at your version of Walmart or Autozone?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
It's tough to get an idea of how bad the fluid was.. old ATF tends to be dark in color and it almost always smells. The fluid you used is probably newer than it needs to be, but probably not a major problem. Why didn't you just buy some MaxLife ATF at your version of Walmart or Autozone?

I couldn't find any Hyundai SP-III fluid at Canadian Tire.

I looked up the website again of the Pennzoil stuff and the fluid clearly shows SP-IV dammit... hopefully nothing goes wrong. I knew the dealer was full of [censored] arghh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheMidnightNarwh

I looked up the website again of the Pennzoil stuff and the fluid clearly shows SP-IV dammit... hopefully nothing goes wrong. I knew the dealer was full of [censored] arghh.

You can still do another drain and put in the proper stuff. Hyundai SP-III is an older spec and almost ANY universal ATF should meet it. You could even buy the generic universal ATF stuff and it should work.

SP-IV is mostly just going to be lighter to aid in fuel economy. You'll be fine as-is but take it easy on the transmission until you get the right fluid in there.

Here is some good info: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2502685/2

You can still do another drain and put in the proper stuff. Hyundai SP-III is an older spec and almost ANY universal ATF should meet it. You could even buy the generic universal ATF stuff and it should work.

Man it's a headache. I spent 70$ just for the fluid. I guess I'll keep it in and if something Fs up I'll really let them know or something. The dude assured me himself and the techs also it should be fine.

Last edited:
Eh, I think you'll be fine. Pennzoil Plat LV is a great ATF and it exceeds the requirements for SPIII, which is an older standard and nothing special. Most modern ATFs meets it except for the old plain Merc/DexIII. Maxlife meets similar requirements with similar viscosities and lists of manufacturer specs too. Will Hyundai/Kia ever officially say SPIV can be used for SPIII? Don't know but doubtful, like Toyota still hasn't officially sanctioned the use of WS to T-IV applications even though available LV ATFs like Maxlife meets both requirements.

How you'll know if your trans is acting up with the wrong fluid after a recent trans fluid change: if it shifts wrong, won't shift, downshifts irregularly, excessive shuddering during shifts across all gears. If it doesn't do that, you're golden. It won't take long for those signs to pop up... like within a few miles after a fluid change.

"it won't take long for those signs to pop up... like within a few miles after a fluid change."

Ok gotcha thanks for the reply.

Yeah did a drive today after changing it and everything seemed normal.

I will see over the next few days.

I also noticed I think I'm missing a bit of fluid. It's hard to read the dipstick. I think I may be missing ~200ml.

Just get it to within the specified range on the dipstick. Preferably near the center to top range. Follow Hyundai's instruction on how to check the dipstick though because it varies with makers and models. The vehicle has to be on a level surface to check the dipstick but some vehicles vary with their procedures. Most say to check it hot, some cold. Some after going through all the gears on the shifter, some just after idling for awhile in park.

Manuals are so much easier.

Originally Posted By: ruhroh
Just get it to within the specified range on the dipstick. Preferably near the center to top range. Follow Hyundai's instruction on how to check the dipstick though because it varies with makers and models. The vehicle has to be on a level surface to check the dipstick but some vehicles vary with their procedures. Most say to check it hot, some cold. Some after going through all the gears on the shifter, some just after idling for awhile in park.

Manuals are so much easier.

Yep, I got even got the service manual. You get it to temp then shift through all gears, go back to neutral and check.

But it's just, it's difficult to read the way it's made. It's all curvy and not the flat type. Also, it's as if there if fluid way above the line but not on the marks themselves, but then that fluid isn't pinkish looks dard, I always take it out, wipe, place it back then pull out after 3s. Hard to explain. I guess I'm not seeing very well because there is missing a bit of fluid. Don't wanna overfill you know..

But on the subject, it's odd, when I drained it I was expecting like what, 40% of the total capacity to come out? Total is 7.8L and I would say at least 4 liters came out.

Last edited:
You'll be OK. If the dealer sold you that stuff then sleep easy.

Maxlife ATF is available at Walmart in Ontario (but usually sold out). Not sure if its available in QC Walmarts.

Back when my Santa Fe was new I wanted to swap out the fluid with Amsoil Multi-Vehicle ATF which has the Diamond SP-III requirement listed.

I drained out the entire transmission using the cooler line and then drained remaining fluid through the drain plug at the bottom (no pan or user replaceable filter) and then replaced with 11 liters of Amsoil ATF and checked that it was full.

I took the SUV for a drive and I noticed that it was more abrupt than before cycling through the gears and I thought maybe the fluid was the cause. I did a little research online and found out that the transmission uses an adaptive controller to control the shift quality as the transmission wears / pressures change so I did what they suggested to force it to relearn.

Based on reading this:
"The PCM or TCM contains logic to adjust solenoid duty and line pressure as needed to compensate for normal clutch wear over the life of the transaxle."

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reattached and then drove it normally in mixed city/highway and the problem corrected itself. I think as it relearned optimal shifting patterns based on the new fluid.

That transmission was never touched and it lasted 300K miles (535,000km) when I scrapped the vehicle because of a broken Camshaft.

I think you might be encountering the same thing.

EDIT:

It appears you might need a scan tool to reset your later model vehicle:

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/93315/hyundai-transaxle-relearn

Last edited:
It's been another day where I drove it hard, pedal to the floor. No issues whatsoever. The only thing is when going from park to drive I feel there a small tock noise and car has a small shake.

"it won't take long for those signs to pop up... like within a few miles after a fluid change."

Ok gotcha thanks for the reply.

Yeah did a drive today after changing it and everything seemed normal.

I will see over the next few days.

I also noticed I think I'm missing a bit of fluid. It's hard to read the dipstick. I think I may be missing ~200ml.

Sorry , what model year is it ?

Just be happy you have a dip stick for ATF . Our 2015 Chevy Sonic does not . :-(

Best of luck to you , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back