Removing Oil Filter 2002 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get sick just thinking about removing the oil filter on my V6 2002 4Runner. I gotta take all that bottom stuff, shield, pan, bolts everywhere and then I gotta align it all up while putting it all back together. Long extension, those 2 bolts way up where you can't see them and then getting that front brush whacker to fit it the slots.....I'm getting tired just thinking about it. My baby is outside now and has been draining oil for 5 hours and I'm putting it off until tomorrow. I think I'll take 3 melatonins and got to bed. tomorrow is another day....

What I want to know is this? Is there an easy way to remove this oil filter? For 150k miles I have removed all this bottom stuff and it's hard to get it all back in place without thinking bad thoughts and words.

Get'cha a little battery impact wrench for the skid plate and whatever filter wrench works the easiest.
21.gif

If you want me to list my favorite oil filter wrenches, I can if it would help.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

get'cha a little battery impact wrench for the skid plate and whatever filter wrench works the easiest.
21.gif

I agree but it's aligning the metal plate with the rear plastic plate and holding them in place...
Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
You could always get a nice oil filter relocation kit. Pipe it up using hydraulic style hoses so you don't have to worry about leaks.

I'll google it...Thanks!

If it's like my 99, and I think it is, I know what you mean. Total pita. After you get everything off you still have to get arms all scrunched up in there to even reach it. Then discovered you can reach it thru the left wheel well. Turn the wheel to gain access to the filter. Easy peasy. Bob's your uncle.

Get a small lift, add 32 inch tires, and remove underbody panels. I have the 3.4 as well in my truck and that is my setup. Easiest vehicle to do oil changes on. My wife used to just sit underneath and do it for me
laugh.gif
Didn't have to jack up the car or ramps

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I agree but it's aligning the metal plate with the rear plastic plate and holding them in place...

What you do is stick an alignment bar like a tapered drift punch or center punch through one hole in the metal plate and from that hole - through a hole in the plastic piece. While you got both holes lined up and holding both plates with one hand, pull the punch out real quick with the other hand and get a bolt started. Leave that bolt loose as you go to line up the next set of holes - and repeat.

Something like this. The pointed end.
LF21.jpg

Originally Posted By: stumpypete
If it's like my 99, and I think it is, I know what you mean. Total pita. After you get everything off you still have to get arms all scrunched up in there to even reach it. Then discovered you can reach it thru the left wheel well. Turn the wheel to gain access to the filter. Easy peasy. Bob's your uncle.

So if one ran OCI and tire rotation the same mileage? Is it better yet while that tire/wheel is drying and waiting for Armor All?

as said above, consider a filter relocation kit. it should be pretty easy to do as long as you take your time and have a half-decent spot to mount the filter. plan your hose routing, and pay attn to detail to prevent abrasion/scuffing.

-m

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why is the oil draining for 5 hours?

Haha, you must not have ever changed the oil in a 2002 v6 4Runner. Oh, the dread. Matter of fact, as of 1:49 pm today it has been perched on ramps drained with the old oil filter still attached for the last 21 hours.

I'm waiting for my Xanax refill before I start.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Gebo

What you do is stick an alignment bar like a tapered drift punch or center punch through one hole in the metal plate and from that hole - through a hole in the plastic piece. While you got both holes lined up and holding both plates with one hand, pull the punch out real quick with the other hand and get a bolt started. Leave that bolt loose as you go to line up the next set of holes - and repeat.

Something like this. The pointed end.
LF21.jpg

I'm afraid that in my frustrations I might end up shoving it through my oil pan which would only lead to much bigger issues. Although it may not come to that as I remember how much oil spills all over everything as I remove the oil filter. My hands would be too slick to have any real grip on the punch you have pictured.

If it is like my 2002 Tacoma V6, just turn the wheel all the way to the left. You can reach in by the driver's side tire. I permanently leave one of the clips on my tire guard (or whatever you call it) off so I can just pull it back and see the filter. I've been doing it this way for 15 years. It isn't my favorite car to change oil on, but it is doable. Oil will get on the skid plate but whatever.

Well, I finally did it. Turned wheel to left, pulled out 2 pins, and after some finagling, off came the filter. Easy least compared to removing all those bolts and such. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back