RA Ultra Power Toyota copy filter 5,778mi cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening BITOG,

Yet another cut of a used Rock Auto Ultra Power brand Toyota copy filter off of my 2004 Lexus ES330. This one was in use for5,778 miles with Valvoline SynPower 20w50 through the heat of the Jacksonville summer. No major issues here however on this run the summer heat took its toll on the ADBV as it was pretty stiff and allowed the filter to drain readily once removed. No other drama noted. The last one of these that I had left is currently installed on the car with a dose of Non API Quaker State Defy high zinc 5w20. Enjoy the pictures.

Enjoy!

Quote:
... 2004 Lexus ES330. This one was in use for5,778 miles with Valvoline SynPower 20w50 through the heat of the Jacksonville summer. No major issues here however on this run the summer heat took its toll on the ADBV as it was pretty stiff and allowed the filter to drain readily once removed.

I would be concerned about the ADBV performance. These cars are hard on them because of the high heat of the filter placement, under the exhaust header and immediately next to the cat (we have the same car). You probably are having plenty of dry starts after a short period of time. Another indicator of the heat is (what looks like) a decent varnish forming on the can with a quality oil in a modest period. The winter might be kinder, but the engine itself is the real culprit here I think.

I had the same engine for a long time. The Toyota valve never hardened and always looked like it could go back in a new filter. By this I think the Toyota Denso must use silicone that is black.

With the price of shipping, I could never make those filters make sense for me.

I have a walmart a block away, and we use Supertech filters on it at 5k intervals. $2.84.

Looks good Luke
smile.gif

Thanks for c&p

As for there being "varnish" in the filter there wasn't any. That's just a film of oil, all of which wiped off with a rag to bright shiny metal. Car has never had any start up noise with any filter I've ever run on it.

To those questioning price, I went in on a ton of filters with 2-3 friends one of which runs a shop and placed a HUGE order for filters. By huge I mean nearly 300. The total cost per filter including shipping averaged out to about $2/ea. That's including fuel filters, diesel filters, big and small filters, etc. These were the only filters that we bought that weren't Wix or Hastings made, over 85% of the filters we bought were Car Quest Premium Blue filters, about 10% CQ red and the last 5% were these knock off filters.

No these are not Denso filters, likely Chinese made imposters probably pulled from a counterfeit Denso or Toyota box.

I like the V6 in my Gen 6 Camry a lot, so much so that I'd not put a mystery filter on it for any reason. FIlters are cheap, engines are expensive.

Sure the manufacturer is a mystery, COO is reasonably known and the virgin one I sacrificed looked well built, the engine hardly sheds any metal per UOA with single digit iron out past 10k, what's the harm in me using these for 5-6k?

I'm just using up what I have left, the last one is on the car now, then I have 1 CQ red and 5-6 CQ blue all wix made to use. I'm pleased with it for what I paid. Would I seek it out for $2? No, but it's bought and paid for so I used them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back