vehicle ramp or jack stand + jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking to make it easier for me to change fluids. my truck is a 2007 escalade ext so weighs about 5800 lbs. thinking about buying two ramps to make it easier to change oil and such. Can choose between
Spectre Pro Ramp: 2 ramps are good for 6000 lbs : $44
or the Rhino Ramps: 2 ramps are good for 8000 lbs I believe $80

I feel like ramps are easier then a jack and jack stand. What do you guys think? and what is the safest. I'm only gonna be doing front diff and oil changes, nothing else aha. So I feel like a ramp is easiest.

Spectre ramp seems like it will get the job done, what do you guys recommend? don't really think I need to spend more for the rhino ramps

a jack stand and 3 ton jack kit is probably gonna be around $120 +

Personally I would buy a jack and stands. Sometimes you may want the wheels off to rotate the tires, do a brake job, etc.

thanks for the reply! but I literally will never touch anything else tbh ahah. ill never do anything wheel related. just fluids.

what do u think in my case

I have both. If it's just a fluid change or something where the wheels don't have to come off, I use the ramps because they're much easier. If a wheel has to come off, then I use a jack. If it's getting my car level to check the transmission fluid level after an ATF change, while still being high enough off the ground to access the stupidly-designed "check plug," it's the front wheels on ramps and the back on jack stands.

Since I do all the work on our three cars, one of these might be in my future.

EDIT: I would not use 6k rated ramps for a 5,800 lb vehicle. The ones I have (plastic "Rhino" ramps) are rated for 12,000 lbs and I just looked and they're available for $40. I, too, doubted if the plastic would hold up over time, but I've had them for 10+ years now.

Last edited:
I believe the rating on the ramps is 6000 pounds per ramp, which would mean for a 6000 pound vehicle it would only be about 1500 pounds ( assuming a 50-50 front to rear weight ratio LOL )

In any case, if it is just fluids then save yourself some trouble and $$ and get the ramps. I have had both, and the ramps make it so much simpler.

I'd suggest getting the 12,000 or 16,000lb rhino ramps for your vehicle as well. I'd be pretty confident that the 6000lb ramps would probably work, considering it'll never be taking the full weight of the car, but, at least in the US, the 12,000lb and 16,000lb Rhino Ramps are commonly available for pretty cheap, in the $40 range (USD).

Also, I believe the higher weight rated ramps are wider, which might make it easier to get a vehicle with large tires centered.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I'd suggest getting the 12,000 or 16,000lb rhino ramps for your vehicle as well. I'd be pretty confident that the 6000lb ramps would probably work, considering it'll never be taking the full weight of the car, but, at least in the US, the 12,000lb and 16,000lb Rhino Ramps are commonly available for pretty cheap, in the $40 range (USD).

My edit time ran out; agree with this though, I got my Rhinos for about $40 each and they are 10,000 pounds if I remember correctly.

Good deal but look to be sold out
frown.gif

Hey gang, be careful about how the ramps are weight rated. From this site:http://allgaragefloors.com/5-best-car-ramps/

"When reviewing weight ratings or load carrying capacity of car ramps, it’s important to understand what they actually mean. As an example, car ramps with a GVW weight rating (Rhino) and car ramps with a single axle weight rating (Spectre) mean two different things.

A GVW (gross vehicle weight) rating does not mean that the ramps will hold all that weight. It means that the ramps are designed to lift and hold up one half of a vehicle that weighs up to that much. In other words, a 12,000 pound GVW rating means the ramps will hold up to 6,000 pounds for the pair.

A single axle weight rating for car ramps means just what is says. As an example, a 3,000 pound single axle rating means that the ramp pair will hold up to 3,000 pounds safely.

Always keep in mind weight bias for vehicles as well. If you are lifting the front of a 3,500 pound front wheel drive car, you can almost guarantee that the front of the vehicle actually weighs more than the back."

The weight capacity of the Rhino Ramps is kind muddled if you ask me. One half of the GVW, but the front weighs more than the back. Hmmmm...

I use both and sometimes two jacks and jack stand load sharing

You can make good ramps from 2x10’s but should glue and screw from standard wood and keep stored inside
(Treated lumber does not glue as well) …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I use both and sometimes two jacks and jack stand load sharing

You can make good ramps from 2x10’s but should glue and screw from standard wood and keep stored inside
(Treated lumber does not glue as well) …

^^ THis. Ramps are great because you're not nicking the paint on your undercarriage or putting mini-dents in its "pressure points". And the truck sits how it normally sits. But I would go heavier dutier for that truck such as the example lumber.

My ramps cost me $16. Three pieces of 2X12 from the lumber yard cut to 3.5', 2.5' and 1.5" lengths, screwed together. Another piece perpendicular at the end that extendes 2.5" above for the tire stop. The end of each horizontal plank was cut at a 45 degree angle. I've had them for about 22 years. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: apollo18

Spectre Pro Ramp: 2 ramps are good for 6000 lbs : $44
or the Rhino Ramps: 2 ramps are good for 8000 lbs I believe $80

Rhino ramps at Amazon when I got them were $38 with free shipping! I think they still are.

Sorry guys I'm in canada!! So the best price I can get is

$44 for the spectre ramps
And
$80 for the rhino ramps

I did the weight calculation myself. The spectre says 12,000 lbs for 4 ramps. Which means that two ramps on the front can hold up to 6000 lbs

The rhino on the other hand is 16,000 lbs for 4 ramps. Since I'm only buying two. That means two ramps on the front can hold 8000 lbs.

Seems like the 6000 should be fine since it's only holding half the vehicle.

But I'll go with rhino if you guys believe it is better. My wheels are 245 r22 I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back