HP horrible customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have an HP monitor, bought late January 2017 from Best buy. Got a line through the display. HP has a "warranty verifier" website were I entered the serial number, and they indicate I have "one month remaining" (Dispute available.) I have not quite hit the 9th month anniversary of this monitor. Oh well, anyway.

Website directs me to Staples as an authorized repair center "Category: Monitors". Drag the thing to staples, they say, no way. Oddly, best buys aren't listed.

My email receipt from best buy has links to "customer service" that have since expired.

Hp.com has a "contact us" field that enters an endless loop. Instead of sending them an email message it just searches their database. My complaint about Staples falls on deaf ears.

Best Buy directs me to 800-752-0900, a number which drops me to a dial tone before I get through to a live operator.

If you're considering computer supplies, consider... not HP.
mad.gif

Yep, ditched them almost 2 years ago. Once you go mac, you'll never go back.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Yep, ditched them almost 2 years ago. Once you go mac, you'll never go back.

Once you go Dell, you go straight to...Mac.
grin.gif

Customer service is hit and miss these days. Sign of the times and can be frustrating.

Try the bottom right corner of this page (http://store.hp.com/) where it says "Need Help? Contact us now." You can set up chat or have them call you. I'd try chat---seems more immediate.

You didn't say what methods you tried to communicate with HP apart from an attempt at an email. I'd try chatting if nothing else, and seeing what can be done.

I know that they will communicate with their customers. In Jan 2016 I bought a laptop that I eventually returned, and they told me exactly what to do over the phone, and eventually returned all my money to my cc. I looked in my emails but didn't see a phone number to give you, but I know I was able to call them on the phone. Anyways, try chat and if that won't work, try asking them to call you.

Last edited:
HP has been very dead for a long time. Call and call the number from their website, escalate to higher and higher level until they find out what is going on. My guess is they discontinued one contract with another company but didn't notify the CS department.

If you are "lucky" you may get another new monitor because they don't fix them anymore.

Ive got a viewsonic at work and a Samsung at home. Both ultra-res 27" screens that I bought for myself. Have a look at both brands if youre going to replace.

At work we would have gotten an HP screen. Bleh. But we also have HP laptops, which I have to say Ive been rather impressed with - the last one and this one (before we had dell).

Not as good as a mac, but it works for windoze.

HP at work became known as Heck (to) Pay.
Monitors are cheap, you are worth more than the time you have invested to get it taken care of.
You can get a 19" TV that will support computer input for 59 bucks. Dedicated monitors aren't much more.

HP has always had the computer world's worst support and documentation.

They make good products (laptops and desktops excepted) but the support, if you need it, is and always has been a nightmare.

Their support website is a textbook example of how not to create a support website. Support staff are trained in that ecosystem, so they are as useless as anything else HP support is.

They just make too much stuff for too many markets, and can't figure out how to simplify without shrinking the company, so they are in a kind of paralysis, just continuing to do the same things over and over again. In fact their usual response to changing trends in computing is to buy another company in another area and start making even more stuff.

There is way too much inertia at HP.

Dell does a great job for support, type the service tag in and you get drivers for the machine and it goes back 20 years.

For stuff like this, buy at Costco. Free second year warranty, anything goes wrong you work with Costco.

I've never had luck with anything HP (Except the really old stuff) or their customer service so I steer clear of this brand. A friend of ours bought an entry level HP Laptop recently against my advice and the thing has been lemon since they got it. HP has been really difficult to deal with for warranty claims pertaining to this laptop.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Update, I took this brick down to Best Buy in person to the returns desk and they said, sure, we'll make you an appointment later today with Geek Squad, y'all come back, ok?

I come back, geek squad says I can't return it b/c I didn't get the extended warranty. I say I want to return it under the regular warranty and aren't they an authorized retailer? (No!)

I will note that half the boxes cluttered behind the geek desk are HP products.

Guy checks with his manager and says they really aren't, and I should take it to Staples. I take it to a different Staples than the one I struck out at yesterday and they can't help me either.
mad.gif

Update, I visited their website with a Windows computer (not ubuntu) and was able to start a chat with a gentleman from another continent. My refurb monitor is slated to arrive in a month, after which I have 15 days to return the crummy one or get charged.

So I get to stare at this hair across my vision for the next month. I'll be used to it by the time I'm done with it.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So I get to stare at this hair across my vision for the next month. I'll be used to it by the time I'm done with it.
smirk.gif

Yeah, me also. It is called a floater.
smile.gif

So despite their claiming it would take a month to ship out I got a new monitor in a few days and shipped the dud back. Case closed. Except for how Best Buy and Staples can't do a warranty return as claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back