Proline PPL14610 8500mi cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening BITOG filter surfers. I just changed the oil on a coworkers 2008 Nissan Xterra with the 4.0 V-6 and removed this filter so I thought I'd cut it and share with the group. Unknown oil was used but my friend normally has this truck serviced by a local independent shop and he said he normally uses synthetic oil. Interval was approximately 8,500 miles but the oil change sticker was too bleached to read.

No media tears but the ADBV was hard as a rock and didn't retain any oil. The media was exceptionally brittle as well.

I put Napa Synthetic 5w30 back in and a TG7317 on.

Look close at this one for the surprise...

The close up of the junk on the media was actually potting material that was loose. The media was well bonded to the end caps but tore with even the lightest pressure. Louvers were well formed and open.

Double leaf spring, but looks like one was upside down - no harm. Most nitrile ADBVs don't get rock hard in 8500 miles, so rubber quality varies. I stay away from brittle media and go for silicone ADBVs these days. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Double leaf spring, but looks like one was upside down - no harm. Most nitrile ADBVs don't get rock hard in 8500 miles, so rubber quality varies. I stay away from brittle media these days. Thanks for the C&P.

No worries! Yes one of the leaf springs was upside down. I was surprised when I saw that, first time I've ever seen it in a cut filter. Rock hard was probably an exaggeration but the ADBV was stiff and certainly not pliable. The exceptionally brittle media concerned me more than the ADBV, the Tough Guard should hold up well for his planned interval of 7,500 miles. The Napa 5w30 was from my stash acquired last year during the $2.99 sale.

8500 miles would be outside this jobber tier filter's intended use, ~5-6k miles max. That said based on appearance and description functionally it got the job done.

car51 has posted two of these PepBoys Prolines run 5-6k miles this month and they both looked fine.

As for combining it synthetic oil, makes little sense imo. If true, a mismatch of oil and filter.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
8500 miles would be outside this jobber tier filter's intended use, ~5-6k miles max. That said based on appearance and description functionally it got the job done.

car51 has posted two of these PepBoys Prolines run 5-6k miles this month and they both looked fine.

As for combining it synthetic oil, makes little sense imo. If true, a mismatch of oil and filter.

Thanks for c&p.

I agree, which is why I put on a Tough Guard for his service. However most customers who pay for a Synthetic oil change are likely getting jobber filters, which should be good for the OLM or intended interval. This filter also fits a number of Honda vehicles many of which could easily exceed the 8,500 miles this filter was run for based off of the OLM, so the "over run" doesn't really fit. Heck the owners manual recommends 7,500 miles on his Nissan. Agreed a better filter is in order for extended runs, which is why it got one.

Brittle ADBVs are the downfall of the jobber Puros-I can't get more than 2K miles out of the QS ones before they stop working (on non-vertical/base up filters).

While it is likely correct that folks getting 'synthetic oil changes' at quick lubes end up with jobber tier filters such as this, that doesn't change the optimum filter use fci. As one example, Fram will also warranty an orange can for the length of the vehicle's oci. However, their written/published recommendation is the orange can is best used as a ~5k mile oci filter. In other words, it's best "intended" fci is for uses not much past 5k miles. So being warranted for a period by the manufacturer, doesn't mean the same as best use. Fortunately for quick lubes, very few of their customers know the difference, or care.

While the filter may hold up past the recommendation, as this one appears to, not best practice. A nitrile adbv as described by the fram rep is not useful/functional beyond ~6k miles max. Why most manufacturers use/recommend silicone adbv for >5k ocis. That said, unless one is getting a start up rattle, it's really a moot point. Even with the rattle, more an irritation than any death knell for the engine.

As for this specific filter application, been using the 14610/7317/57356 application since 2001 when Honda first went to this application size, to the present day. Also on Nissan from 2003 to 2011. So I'm quite familiar with the oci/fcis of this filter application and those manufacturers recommendations.

I never used the term "over run", however at 8500 miles the topic filter is outside it's optimum intended use.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
While it is likely correct that folks getting 'synthetic oil changes' at quick lubes end up with jobber tier filters such as this, that doesn't change the optimum filter use fci. As one example, Fram will also warranty an orange can for the length of the vehicle's oci. However, their written/published recommendation is the orange can is best used as a ~5k mile oci filter. In other words, it's best "intended" fci is for uses not much past 5k miles. So being warranted for a period by the manufacturer, doesn't mean the same as best use. Fortunately for quick lubes, very few of their customers know the difference, or care.

While the filter may hold up past the recommendation, as this one appears to, not best practice. A nitrile adbv as described by the fram rep is not useful/functional beyond ~6k miles max. Why most manufacturers use/recommend silicone adbv for >5k ocis. That said, unless one is getting a start up rattle, it's really a moot point. Even with the rattle, more an irritation than any death knell for the engine.

As for this specific filter application, been using the 14610/7317/57356 application since 2001 when Honda first went to this application size, to the present day. Also on Nissan from 2003 to 2011. So I'm quite familiar with the oci/fcis of this filter application and those manufacturers recommendations.

I never used the term "over run", however at 8500 miles the topic filter is outside it's optimum intended use.

No argument for anything here. I certainly wouldn't choose this filter for any run let alone an extended one. Which is why I replaced it with a Tough Guard. I did the service for him for $30 total including the TG filter, and 5.5 quarts of full Synthetic oil so the XG Fram wasn't really in the budget. I'm not trying to make a killing on changing oil for friends, more trying to save them money, provide a quality oil and filter at a price point they can afford and use up some of my stash. All in I made $5 for my time.

I recall a MicroGuard or ST having the same brittle media on another C&P. Bottom line - cheap filters have cheap media - big surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back