Nissan NS2 or Eneos ECO CVT fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to change the CVT fluid in my 2013 Maxima at 80,000 km. The car is presently at 73K, so some time. Totally preventative maintenance, no reason to change it otherwise, true BITOG principles here.

The Nissan NS2 is the spec, don't know what company makes it for Nissan / Jatco, but it might be Idemitso or Eneos?

I went to the Eneos USA website and asked them a question:

"I want to do a partial change of the CVT fluid in my 2013 Maxima. Can you confirm the Eneos ECO CVT (their newest multi-application NS2/NS3 and other Asian CVT fluid) is going to be fine if I only get 50% of the factory NS2 CVT fluid drained and then top off with the ECO CVT fluid?

Will this damage my CVT? void my warranty?"

Here is the answer I got back (less than 19 hours later)

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your Inquiry.

We have run many tests and are sure that our ECO CVT Fluid is compatible with Nissan NS2, and there will be no problem if we mix ECO CVT Fluid with unused Nissan NS2.

So it might not damage your car even if oils are mixed, unless your rest 10-50% oil is not extremely exhausted.

And Nissan dealer will be the one whether the warranty will be void or not.

All we can say is our ECO CVT Fluid is compatible with Nissan NS2 as above.

Hope these ideas help you.

Thank you for contacting ENEOS Sales!

[email protected]

What do you think? For one I am pleased they responded quickly, however the message is, IMO, slightly affected by a possible language gap?

The NS2 fluid is more expensive than the Eneos ECO CVT, but the difference in price is not my highest priority. I've no issues with the CVT in my Maxima, but don't want to introduce a new variable that could cause me trouble - later.

Thanks, Ken

Ken, are you still under warranty of any kind with your Maxima? If not, I'd have no problem doing a drain/fill with a suitable aftermarket NS-2 fluid. The reason I ask about the warranty is, NS-2 is a green fluid and the dealer will verify it's green in the event of a transmission issue. I don't know of any aftermarket NS-2 that's green. Have you checked eBay for bottles of NS-2? I know I was able to get NS-3 for my 2016 Quest for ~$8/qt or so shipped. My dealer wants $20/qt at the parts counter. LOL.

My 5 year, 100,000km powertrain warranty will expire in February 2018. I plan to do the CVT partial flush in the Spring of 2018 = outside of warranty for time.

The Eneos website blurb on the new ECO CVT is that it's better than ever...no surprizes there eh? The stuff is blue, which is also the same colour as Nissan NS3. Nissan says NS2 and NS3 are not interchangeable! is it because green mixed with blue = brown?
grin.gif

I like the idea of using the newest fluid, but don't want to be a beta tester for Eneos?

Use the NS-2 or NS-3 for that generation of CVT whichever one that is stated in your owner's manual. In your manual it is specific to that generation of CVT. By the way... I have 206k miles on my Altima 3.5 xtronic CVT with the original CVT fluid. It has done very, very good thus far.

Last edited:
We have over 160k on our 2010 2.5S.

I used the Castrol CVT fluid which is compatible/same as NS-2. No problems.

I'll probably drain and fill five quarts again this coming spring.

Ken, is the CVT fluid easy to drain/fill on you 2013? If it is, I'd be more inclined to use and easier to source aftermarket alternative as javacontour suggested, like Castrol, and do yearly D/Fs. It's so easy to drain/fill and check level on my 2016 Quest (same as Murrano and Pathfinder) that it's easier than an engine oil change. I get 4qts out per drain.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Ken, is the CVT fluid easy to drain/fill on your 2013?

Certainly looks easy, single big bolt and splash down! doubt that ramps or elevating the car is really needed. I might pop for a new drain gasket from the Nissan dealer.

Yes, the V6 is easier than the unit used in the 2.5L 4 cylinder Altima. I had to drop the pan and reattach to drain and fill 5 quarts.

In doing more research, I found a 2011 MSDS online that shows Nissan NS-2 oil being made by SOPUS Products, Houston Texas.

Further, the Pennzoil CVT-2 specifically references working with Jatco & Nissan CVT systems. Additionally, the Pennzoil CVT-2 product is coloured green = same as Nissan NS-2. Hmmm
12.gif

In the USA you have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act, you have the right to change fluid that is approved to use by the after market oil company per say Amsoil or Redline. So many people do it with great results. After market boutique oils have better base stocks and add-packs, so don't fear the change, embrace it.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
In doing more research, I found a 2011 MSDS online that shows Nissan NS-2 oil being made by SOPUS Products, Houston Texas.

Further, the Pennzoil CVT-2 specifically references working with Jatco & Nissan CVT systems. Additionally, the Pennzoil CVT-2 product is coloured green = same as Nissan NS-2. Hmmm
12.gif

Has anyone else validated this? If so, it's $7.50/qt at Pepboys USA. Might be worth the drive to buy a case of this stuff if this is Nissan's fluid rebranded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back