M1 0w40 FS, 4358 miles, 2010 BMW 328i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Here are the latest results from my wife's BMW, analysis done by Wearcheck Canada:

4,358 miles on oil
June 24 to Oct 21 (4 months)
93,000 miles on engine
Mobil 1 0w40 FS
Mann oil filter
7 quart oil capacity
No make up oil

Iron 13
Lead 0
Aluminum 4.5
Copper 6
Chromium 0.2
Nickel 0
Tin 0.3
Silver 0
Vanadium 0

Silicon 13
Potassium 3.2
Sodium 2.4
Sulfur 2075

Moly 74
Boron 153
Titanium 0
Calcium 3192
Magnesium 82
Manganese 1.7
Antimony 1.8
Barium 0
Lithium 0
Beryllium 0
Cadmium 0

Phosphorus 911
Zinc 1088

Oxidation 177%
Nitration 82%
Sulfation 115%

Soot 0
Glycol 0
Water 0
Fuel 0

Viscosity at 100c 12.7

This is my first interval with the new thinner "FS" formula of M1, and I've also noticed that compared to the old formula, boron is a lot higher, magnesium is a lot lower and calcium/phosphorus/zinc are all slightly higher. Moly is about the same.

I wanted to do a much shorter than usual interval to clean things up a bit, as I feel I overextended the intervals with this car a few times in a row. I was also anxious to see the results of this different formula. Oxidation is still very high but Wearcheck explained that they can't get an accurate reading on it with some synthetic oils. I probably won't even bother reporting oxidation on here anymore actually.

Almost no shearing on that oil with a 12.7 cSt viscosity. It held up well in this application. Apparently, she didn't "track" it.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Almost no shearing on that oil with a 12.7 cSt viscosity. It held up well in this application. Apparently, she didn't "track" it.

Or it doesn't shear and the previously reported low viscosity numbers were due to fuel in the oil.

Or Blackstone doesn't measure it properly.

I try to keep an eye on all the M1 0w-40 UOA's that show up here as well as on other sites. It does seem to shear down in most appliations, at least more than this BMW showed at 4300 miles. I would typically expect 11.00-12.20 cSt after a 6500-10,000 mile OCI (no tracking/racing).

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I try to keep an eye on all the M1 0w-40 UOA's that show up here as well as on other sites. It does seem to shear down in most appliations, at least more than this BMW showed at 4300 miles. I would typically expect 11.00-12.20 cSt after a 6500-10,000 mile OCI (no tracking/racing).

I would say the tests seen here and elsewhere (especially if they are done by Blackstone) are incapable of distinguishing between fuel dilution and actual mechanical shear. In fact, I would say that it is suspect whether Blackstone can reliably distinguish much at all.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I think your intervals are too short.

Any reason you're not using an LL01 oil?

Because M1 0w40 is $22.88 for 5 quarts at Walmart
smile.gif

This is the only short interval I've ever done on this car, the previous ones were 23,300km and 20,940km and 15,803km.

The old 0w40 never thinned out at all during those runs, it thickened up, and it thickened up a lot! In the first one it was 17.7 cst at 100c! The other two it was 16.1 and 14.8. Hopefully this doesn't happen anymore, my wife doesn't need oil this thick with the type of driving she does.

4K miles is low though, especially since it's just 4 months. Didn't bother with TBN?

7 quarts too, ouch. Good thing you pay less for M1 though. It's typically over $80 per 5L in Australia. Cheapest I ever seen it was around $55 recently. Our 1L bottles cost as much as your 5 quart jugs.

I don't think short intervals clean things much though. Do you think it sludged up a bit from previous long OCI's?

I used to get TBN on all of my reports in the past but for the past few years I've just gotten the basic package from Wearcheck in order to save money.

I don't really think it's sludged up, and it's probably not that dirty but I still felt better just doing this one short run nonetheless. I don't often do oil changes at such a low mileage, so I can hopefully be forgiven by my fellow BITOGers on this one
smile.gif

I'm not sure how many miles it will have on it for this interval, it's going to be time dependent actually. We are moving into a new home in August 2018 and so I will change the oil at my current house just before we move (when we move we'll have an unpaved driveway in the new home for a little while and the road in front of the house will be dusty/dirty from construction also)

Originally Posted By: Patman
I used to get TBN on all of my reports in the past but for the past few years I've just gotten the basic package from Wearcheck in order to save money.

I don't really think it's sludged up, and it's probably not that dirty but I still felt better just doing this one short run nonetheless. I don't often do oil changes at such a low mileage, so I can hopefully be forgiven by my fellow BITOGers on this one
smile.gif

I'm not sure how many miles it will have on it for this interval, it's going to be time dependent actually. We are moving into a new home in August 2018 and so I will change the oil at my current house just before we move (when we move we'll have an unpaved driveway in the new home for a little while and the road in front of the house will be dusty/dirty from construction also)

Have you considered Toromont? TBN/TAN is free with their UOA's.

I honestly haven't considered any other lab simply because Wearcheck is so super convenient for me, their lab is less than 5 minutes from my work so I drop my samples off right at their doorstep and I often end up with my results within a day. I'm not going to push my intervals on any of my cars too much in the future so TBN won't be as important as if I was trying to see the upper limit for my OCIs.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Any reason you're not using an LL01 oil?

Originally Posted By: Patman
Because M1 0w40 is $22.88 for 5 quarts at Walmart
smile.gif

No point in me recommending Conklin then.
frown.gif

I do believe antimony is in the add pack, as it's a friction modifier instead of a wear metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back