Amsoil SS 0w20 new formulation VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
There you have it folks. Looks similar to 5w30. Even for TBN...not sure what's up with advertised 12.5.

Calcium took a huge hit. Interested to see if this oil stays as clean as the old formulation in the long run. Also interesting to note that zinc and phosphorus are within SN limits

Last edited:
I don't think this VOA will tell the whole story about the oil. There are so many other parameters that haven't been tested and we have no idea about (can only trust whatever Amsoil claims it is in the data bulletin). Give a try first, run UOA and then judge - that's my philosophy. It's gonna be awhile though before it happens lol

Originally Posted By: parshisa
I don't think this VOA will tell the whole story about the oil. There are so many other parameters that haven't been tested and we have no idea about (can only trust whatever Amsoil claims it is in the data bulletin). Give a try first, run UOA and then judge - that's my philosophy. It's gonna be awhile though before it happens lol

I agree except the TBN should be within a point or 2 of Amsoils bulletin. Meaning .1 or .2

Last edited:
yeah, that's a bit odd. anyway, I've emailed Amsoil tech support addressing my concerns about TBN...let's see what/if they reply back

Very disappointed in this re-formulation. No reason to choose this over much cheaper and easier to get M1 EP.

Amsoil also used to be honest - said an oil was 12 TBN, it was.

2 back to back tests prove this claim is carp.

In wouldn’t loose the sleep over it. We need to try and run it first, do UOA and see how it performed. Plus, keep in mind we don’t see TAN, NOACK, sulfates ash and such on this test. It is going in my engine on the next oil chmage👍

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Amsoil also used to be honest - said an oil was 12 TBN, it was.

2 back to back tests prove this claim is carp.

The new Mobil 1 Annual Protection also tested out well under the published TBN. Perhaps this oil is a lot like the new M1 and is "resistant" to typical test methods.

Or maybe neither one actually has what they publish. But that seems unlikely.

Folks, just wanted to let you all know: did get a reply from Amsoil/Oil analyzers on why the TBN is sow low. Apparently there are two different methods oil is being tested for TBN: ASTM D2896 for new oils, ASTM D4739 for used oils. Polaris/oil analyzers lab uses only second one which can give lower TBN value due to the method specifics. Long story short - the number in the report is not something we need to look at and judge. Sorry for the initial confusion and hopefully it will help to regain trust in Amsoil lol

The more I think about this, the more I like this new formula. It's the only D1G2 oil I've seen so far with that much phosphorus and zinc, and then coupled with the high moly and boron content I think this is a really good looking oil. I wish it was cheaper to get, but in my opinion it's the best looking formulation I've seen so far with these new LSPI combatting oils.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
The more I think about this, the more I like this new formula. It's the only D1G2 oil I've seen so far with that much phosphorus and zinc, and then coupled with the high moly and boron content I think this is a really good looking oil. I wish it was cheaper to get, but in my opinion it's the best looking formulation I've seen so far with these new LSPI combatting oils.

Bingo!

Same with the new SS 5w30, looks fantastic in my opinion.

Both new 0w20 and 5w30 are sitting in my garage and waiting on their turn. Can't wait to dump my current fills and fill it up with this stuff lol

Agree 100%.

Folks, just wanted to let you all know: did get a reply from Amsoil/Oil analyzers on why the TBN is sow low. Apparently there are two different methods oil is being tested for TBN: ASTM D2896 for new oils, ASTM D4739 for used oils. Polaris/oil analyzers lab uses only second one which can give lower TBN value due to the method specifics. Long story short - the number in the report is not something we need to look at and judge. Sorry for the initial confusion and hopefully it will help to regain trust in Amsoil lol

I was expecting a reply from them very similar to what you said. The proof will be in actual real world use, and used oil analysis reports. Not their claims, or a VOA unfortunately. I learned a long time ago to take advertisements or a company's word with a grain of salt. That goes for any company.

Amsoil QUIETLY quit blowing the PAO horn + is likely substituting cheaper group III base oils, + only say oils are blended to meet a spec. i surely DO NOT trust them + QUIT using their good but OVERPRICED lubricants.

yeah, that's a bit odd. anyway, I've emailed Amsoil tech support addressing my concerns about TBN...let's see what/if they reply back

The TBN in the analysis above does seem more in line with what would be required of an LSPI preventing/D1G2 spec meeting oil.

Except that they jacked up the magnesium and boron levels to compensate for the calcium reduction, to what seems like a level which could be possible to produce a claimed 12.5 TBN.
confused2.gif

This makes me wonder IF their claimed NOACK levels are correct and truthful.
21.gif

I am planning for the new formula 5W-20 (or maybe even the 5w-30 fro a little extra fuel dilution resistance) Sig Series to be my next winter OCI choice, as the high claimed TBN, along with the low NOACK, and good moly, boron, and magnesium content would be perfect for my needs (and with the Preferred Customer program, not all that much more than the 'majors' even the ones on the shelf at Sino Mart.
wink.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back