Castrol GTX Ultraclean VOA looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
My "stick to one brand" decision lasted all of one week. There's just too many exciting products out there.

For any non-turbo application, this looks like an excellent reformulation.

5W-30

As tested by PQIA: 5W20

Last edited:
Quote:

What makes it great?

Not trying to be difficult. Just curious.

What's the latest on large amounts of calcium for DI applications?

You'll have to wait until you use up all the VSP 5W-20 first.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno
If you're looking for a thick 5W-20, here it is.

^^^ My first thought also!

It doesn't have as much calcium as Amsoil Sig series

I wonder what it's secret is?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

What makes it great?

Not trying to be difficult. Just curious.

What's the latest on large amounts of calcium for DI applications?

No offense taken.
grin.gif

5W-20: Low Noack, addition of Boron, Moly along with being a thick 20.
The Ca reduction benefits Turbo DI applications, There hasn't been anything, i could find, where Calcium level affects normally aspirated DI.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You'll have to wait until you use up all the VSP 5W-20 first.
grin2.gif

My brother wants it fot his Toyota. Lol

Interesting.

I wonder if this would be good for a Hemi 5.7 that specs 5W-20 even though lots of thinking is that -20 is too thin.

Originally Posted By: wemay
As tested by PQIA: 5W20

Unless PQIA messed up, this is just regular GTX (recently discontinued). It doesn't say Ultraclean.

Only Tom can answer that. But the test is dated 03/06/17. It may be new product in old bottles until the redesigned packaging was ready. Just a guess.

Castrol told me GTX Ultraclean is actually a synthetic blend, and therefore a different product from regular GTX.

You highlighted "synthetic blend" like it makes this oil magical or something.

Nowadays most conventionals r blends due to the more stringent api ratings. This includes chevron supreme which can be found at costco and walmart (for less than supertech).

Originally Posted By: jj51702
You highlighted "synthetic blend" like it makes this oil magical or something.

Nowadays most conventionals r blends due to the more stringent api ratings. This includes chevron supreme which can be found at costco and walmart (for less than supertech).

It was highlighted for those that may not know this information yet. Not because anyone thinks it's magical.
wink.gif

Yes, many here are aware Valvoline, Havoline and Castrol etc., say the same on their websites and are synblends.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Castrol told me GTX Ultraclean is actually a synthetic blend, and therefore a different product from regular GTX.

I guess that could be. But since "GTX Ultraclean" became available, "GTX" has disappeared off the shelves around here. Leading me to believe Ultraclean is the replacement.

Another driver for CVX & XOM to produce more GII+ ... (they did plant upgrades etc) …

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I guess that could be. But since "GTX Ultraclean" became available, "GTX" has disappeared off the shelves around here. Leading me to believe Ultraclean is the replacement.

Yes, it is the replacement. But it's not something they'd throw into bottles with the old product labeled.

(one would hope, anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back