Rplacing DRL on Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado/GMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Tahoe. I bought the replacement bulbs (#3157) and took to UTube to find a how-to. Apparently, you have to open the wheel well cover to loosen a screw that will allow the headlight assembly to move forward a few inches. Then, you have to remove the headlight bracket screws up top plus the top row of fasteners across the radiator shroud in order to allow the whole thing to pitch forward so you can get your hand in behind it to get to the bulbs.

Sound right? Any easier ways in?

What an epic step backwards GM made on the 07 NBS on this repair. The lights on my 2005 are super easy to remove and replace.

All the manufacturers are doing it. Just had to put headlamp bulbs in a newer impala, you need to remove the entire front bumper skirt to access the headlamp assemblies. Give me glass sealed beams any day, some of the newer projection lamp housings have almost no side illumination. Can't see the deer until it's right in front of you.

Originally Posted By: 03cvpi
All the manufacturers are doing it. Just had to put headlamp bulbs in a newer impala, you need to remove the entire front bumper skirt to access the headlamp assemblies. ...

Same with my Cobalt.

Hyundai, at least on my model, made it very easy to change. Remove some screws, unplug the harness and the whole assembly comes out. Screw off a cap protecting the bulb, change it and reverse the process. Now why they went with the more expensive and rarer H11B bulb vs the H11...

Well, I got it replaced. I had to go back and watch the vids on a couple of points. Turns out I didn’t need to disturb the wheel well cover because that lower flange of the headlight assembly was broken off by a prior intruder so the bolt was holding nothing. Knowing this will save me an hour next time. So you end up removing the 8 bolts on top-2 holding the head light assembly and six across the radiator shroud. This allows you to pop the end of the bumper cover off and everything is loose enough to wiggle the entire assembly out for easy access to the bulbs. I could probably do this repair in 30 minutes next time.

Someone did that to my brother's 07 Tahoe
I do my Suburban by removing the screw on the bottom front of the wheelwell and pop two of those plastic push fasteners, then I reach in with a socket on a long extension to get the bottom bolt

Yeah, that's a pain, but you don't have to remove the whole wheel well liner, as mentioned above. I used LEDs for DRL, hope they will last forever. And replaced H11 with H9. Now I can actually see something at night...

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I have an 02 Yukon, on mine I just pull out two large pins and the whole assembly comes out. It was the same on my 00 Silverado. I can't imagine an 07 could be that much different. Literally takes seconds.

The 07 is totally different than the set-up in the 02.

GM loves to make running changes to stuff like this. They did the the same with the Equinox. 2010-2014 had an access panel in the wheel well to get to the headlights. In 2015 they eliminated it, requiring partially removing the wheel well liner to get to the bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back