Transfer case and slip yoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 2011 F150 has continued to provide the joys of slip bump (despite its the 145in WB with one piece driveshaft which doesn't suffer from that problem). Lubricating the slip yoke splines fixes the problem 100% for a few thousand miles AT BEST. Even going with a moly paste did not fix the problem for longer than that. I'm at the point where its time to consider parts replacements. Basically two options I'm exploring.

1. Raptor transmission mount. Not directly related to the slip yoke, but its supposed to be a more rigid bushing and reduce dirveline vibration and pinion angle changes.
2. Slip yoke and/or transfer case output shaft replacement

I'd like to explore the second option a little. The slip yoke would be as easy as replacing the u-joint, basically. I would think replacements would be easy to find at drivetrain shops. What about the transfer case output shaft? Transfer case would be fairly easy to drop out but is it a big deal to open it up to replace this shaft? I'm really stumped on how these splines are INTENDED to be lubricated from the manufacture, as service info and diagrams have been difficult for me to find. Does anybody have much knowledge on transfer cases? I don't mind doing a little work, but I don't want to waste my time tearing stuff apart and replacing parts that won't help.

FYI, yes I've tried the Ford recommended lubrication (the blue teflon lube, XG-8 I think). It lasts a few thousand miles. So does the white teflon grease they sell with the kit. So does a heavy moly paste. So does a heavy moly paste cut with synthetic ATF. Like I said, I want to explore FIX options now.

If you don't get good responses here I would try asking your questions at ford-trucks.com. Nothing wrong woth this site, just that you will find a lot more experience with your year F150 at a site specializing in Ford trucks.

I read that trucks with leaf springs suffer from "Axle Wrap" which binds the yoke splines when accelerating or decelerating, certain conditions, etc. Installing a leaf spring clamp is worth a try before you tear things apart.

If you have leaf springs that is...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I had that problem with my Cherokee. The only thing that worked was anti seize compound. Grease didn't seem to do it.

+1

Same with mine.

And, contrary to what a lot of people say, it doesn't wear out the slip joint in the driveshaft or the tailshaft. I eventually converted the transfer case to a fixed yoke, but never managed to wear out anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back