Question, is a Dell Optiplex better then ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, rushing to work, thought I would post this in here, kind of know the answer, wonder if I am missing anything.

I have lots of computers and pretty knowledgeable but NOT with commercial machines.

Anyway, my wifes workplace moved their office and pretty much told her to take whatever she wanted and she got the ok to take a computer I wanted to play around with.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex 790, made in 2012, Windows 7 pro, Intel Core i5.
Its built like a freaking tank, I am amazed how heavy it is for a slim line desktop anyway, its feels like and looks like, well, a BMW.
Not only that but it has rarely been used, maybe for one year.

So do I bother with this thing and look to upgrade the Windows version 7 to 10 OR make it a Linux computer (as a fun project) which I have No experience with or
what I was hoping is to change from my current 2013 Lenovo AMD A4 budget desktop (which runs super great and have no idea why it runs so well) or do just throw the Dell away?

Thanks for any thoughts ... off to work I go.

Bottom line, is a 2012 computer worth the effort? Is there anything special about an Optiplex ... I do know the i5 processor would be a big upgrade from my Lenovo AMD A4 right?

Last edited:
Those machines are built to take abuse from a work environment. We have several at my workplace, where they are on 24/7. Worth keeping it IMO. If you decide Linux, Ubuntu is a very user friendly OS.

It's like a sandy bridge or Ivy bridge i5. Either would be a large processing improvement over your a4. In both heavily threaded and single threaded apps you will see a decent bump in performance.

Those sandy and ivy i5s are still very popular and keep up with the newest chips in game performance when paired with a high end graphics card. It is absolutely worth keeping.

If you dont want it for some season, I'll pay shipping for the ram and cpu.

I like linux Mint. But... this will offend many... only as a toy... Cant connect to corporate, driver, secondary app issues, can't do a lot of real world things.. You still need Microsoft or a Mac as the primary...

It's better than your A4, but it won't feel any better than your A4.

Both are going to probably have DDR3-1333, and a hard drive. They'll feel the same.

Unless you're doing more than browsing and media, of course. The i5's strength won't be noticeable unless you're doing something like gaming, rendering or encoding.

Actually, if you're watching 4K video, the A4 is better.

That is still plenty of PC for typical home use. The small card slots and limited power supply tends to limit your GPU expansion choices to business spec cards. But the built-in DisplayPort video output can be connected to a HDMI TV with an adapter cable.

Last edited:
Posting this thu a optiplex 790 with sandybridge i5 processor. Kickin machine but if you like sound the o board sound (I think its on board) is only fair. No gaming done here.

I know its not supported but I'll keep my windows 7 over 10.

I liked the form factor, so I bought a Gateway dual core for 270- which is also a nice basic machine. but the front I/O are chinzy.

SSD, maximum RAM, 64-bit pro version an OS and you can get years of service. Solid state drives are the best thing to happen to PCs in years. I've upgraded maybe 20 with Samsung's EVO line (at least on Win7 and 10).

Use the Dell Service Tag on support.dell.com to pull down the service manuals.

Kevin

Pretty decent computer. I'd keep the stock Windows 7 Pro if it were me, I'd prefer that over 10. Make sure to get an admin login if you want to keep the OS that is on there if you haven't already.

In recent years, my office has upgraded to the small form factor desktops, they're pretty ideal for a home/office application where you won't need to upgrade (like a gaming machine). I think they have to build them relatively well just because they're so dense with components. It probably just feels heavy for its size.

I agree, good machine. SSD all the way
laugh.gif

Sounds like a really nice machine! Personally I'd upgrade it to W10, since it's a business machine the license will be for Pro. I believe you can still upgrade for free if you use assistive technologies.

Linux Mint is also a good option if you only use a browser and all your hardware is supported. With the spare machine you can disto hop and check out all the different options out there.

Originally Posted By: csandste
I'd install a lighter version of Linux, maybe Lubuntu, Ubuntu Mate or Linux Mint Mate. I think the next LTD version of Linux 18.04 looks especially interesting.

Ubuntu switched back to using Gnome as the main desktop already. I have been using 17.10 since it was in alpha and it is working very nicely!

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
SSD, maximum RAM, 64-bit pro version an OS and you can get years of service. Solid state drives are the best thing to happen to PCs in years. I've upgraded maybe 20 with Samsung's EVO line (at least on Win7 and 10).

Use the Dell Service Tag on support.dell.com to pull down the service manuals.

Kevin

Yeah the Samsung EVO line of SSD's are really great.

Those Dell Optiplex(or any business-spec machine like HP's Compaq/Elite or Lenovo's ThinkCentre/ThinkStation) are solid machines - limited upgradablity besides RAM/storage/CPU but for anyone who doesn't plan to game, it does the job fine. Business machines are built for 3-5 year depreciation cycles and ease of service.

I've bought two HP Compaqs for a friend's bike shop to replace the 10 year old Optiplexes he had, I expect those to chug along for another 4-5 years unless he buys an iMac for the shop.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
So do I bother with this thing and look to upgrade the Windows version 7 to 10 OR make it a Linux computer (as a fun project) which I have No experience with or what I was hoping is to change from my current 2013 Lenovo AMD A4 budget desktop (which runs super great and have no idea why it runs so well) or do just throw the Dell away?

Been in the IT game for a very, very long time and I'd throw it in the trash. I've always found Dell to be junk computers. Often using proprietary parts and built as cheap as possible.

Where I work by day they use Dells for the desktop and they are junk, despite being "business class" machines. Laptops often fall apart and have weird issues. Desktops have weird issues as well. Prior to that we were HP and those things were tanks. Before HP it was IBM and they were good as well. Both of them are light years ahead of Dell. But they are Cheap. And we're looking to get out of Dell so I guess the lack of reliability is finally getting noticed.

As for an OS - Win 10 would be the choice as it will be supported by Dell. Linux, while a better OS may not be fully supported.

I own an optiplex 790 SFF machine, bought used from dell financial a few years ago. Search my posts on it.

The optical drive comes from a LT; it's the only one that will fit. Mine's a bit figgity at times.

The PS is the weak point. Dell no longer makes new ones. Replacements are all used. Local dell 'reseller' had ZERO when I needed a replacement. All of their SFF 790's in back had missing PS they sold to customers.

The case only holds a single HD.

But if it's free......get two to have a backup. Blow out all the interior dust & clean the fans & CPU HS.

49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back