Your experience with WOWA products?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
After using Meguiar's new Ultimate Fast Finish, I'm now a solid convert to WOWA sealants! WOWA stands for Wipe On Walk Away, and is generally a spray (or aerosol) sealant that you simply wipe on the finish and then walk away (or more specifically you will usually need to give it a light wipe to remove excess flashing of the product)

I'd like to try some of the other similar products in the future and was wondering how many on here have tried them and what do you think?

These are the products I know about: Zaino Clear Seal, Optimum Opti-Seal, Blackfire Crystal Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal.

I like the idea but I'm not sure if you can get a year a durability out of them before reapplying. But with as easy as they are to apply, I guess it doesn't matter that much.

I used ZCS for a long time. I now use HydrO2. I look at these products as extenders - a chemistry matched topping to ensure that a main coating has additional protection and longevity.

I think some folks merely rely on these products, but I think they are not as long lasting as the real thing and will leave your protection compromised.

Given the ease and quickness of these types of products, durability isn't that big of a concern, as long as it won't die after just one car wash of course. As far as the protection is concerned, I've heard a few people mentioning that with Meguiar's UFF that they got bird bombed and it didn't etch the paint afterwards, so that's promising.

I think there is a stigma that they can't protect like a conventional sealant because they are so easy to apply but keep in mind that even with the conventional sealant, the layer of protection on top of your paint once you buff off the haze is actually very very thin.

When my Corvette arrives my plan is to clay the paint, buff out any scratches (if there are any) and then apply a couple of layers of either UFF or another similar product. I don't intend to use anything else as far as "protection" goes. If I find the paint gets etched by either bird droppings or water drops, then I will polish out those imperfections and try a different product until I find the right one.

Most products of any type have a point of diminishing returns, so I really wouldn't do more than two coats at once (waiting 24 hours in between for them to fully cure of course). I did notice a difference after the second coat of UFF on my Corvette, the metallic blue really came alive!

I remember the days when people would put 10-15 coats of Zaino on their finish and swear it looked better than just one or two but I think they were fooling themselves.

I would use clay on the new car(probably won't find much to rub off) then use 2 coats of the Zaino polish using their catalyst. A year later you will still see water beading up. I have it on my MB and Harley. I just gave the Harley a coat after more than a year. It's so slick it hardly took any product at all. That stuff is really easy to use. A lot of people have years of good experiences with the Zaino polishes. I would be afraid to use one of those sealants on my new Vette.

I have a Chemical Guys super fine clay mitt that I will use to remove any light contamination on the new paint, and if needed I will use 3D's HD polish, which is a very light compound that finishes off nicely (no haziness) and no dust either. I'm not afraid to use a WOWA sealant on the new car, if I find any etching due to water/birds, then I'll try something else that does protect.

I've used WOWA products for many years. Never a problem or complaint. The vast majority are sealants so providing it goes on a prepped surface durability is actually quite good. Some, Ultima is one, change the look of the paint making it appear almost like a candy coat.

Optimum's Opt-seal is pretty popular amongst professional detailers. On my clients cars I see 2-3 months when applied to a dry car and 1-2 months when used as a drying aid.

I used my Ultimate Fast Finish for the first time yesterday, and I am impressed as well. Application is ridiculously easy, and if the durability is anywhere near the claims, it is a real winner!

I applied Ultima PGP to my Black Chrysler 300 SRT8 10 years ago. It was so easy to apply and looked incredible. Some streaks were evident in application which went away during the drying process. The finish was beautiful and durable. I maintained the finish with only washes and optimum car wax every couple of months.
I posted about it on autopia forums under manicrodder but unfortunately the pics are no longer supported by photo bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back