Vicosity is 17.4 and SAE rate is 10W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the SAE J300 the Xw-40 is
Someone make a mistake someplace with this product or label.

Duy,

You are absolutely 100% correct. As its KV100 is > 16.3, this oil is a 10W50, not a 10W40. It seems even the Germans make mistakes these days (did someone say Dieselgate?).

I personally wouldn't use this oil in a motorcycle application as it will contain a very large amount of shearable VII. I would also question whether you need a 10W oil in a hot country like Vietnam. If I were you, I might look for a decent 15W40 oil.

Dear Zoe,

Thank you for your comment. It does make sense, given that the manufacturer trying to make one universal oil for all application.

Thank your very much for enlighten me

Dear Sonof, Dear FowVay

Thank you very much for your comment. I'm so confused about the accuracy of the German these day. Given the above comment that it is still in the top end of 40 I would assume it is still somewhat accurate.

I would like to ask more about the 10W. I know that it would be a a waste to use 10W in a our country, but does cause any harm, or can it be any good to use low W, for example, better lubricant pumping at start or better heat transfer ???

Thank you very much for your input

Last edited:
What motorcycle are you riding? I ride a 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R (ZZR1400) and the 'normal' oil recommendation is for a 10W-40. Where I live it can be +90ºF (>32ºC) during riding season and I'm often stuck in Atlanta traffic. I choose to use 15W-50 BelRay ester oil in my machine because of the heat.

Read your manual and adjust your viscosity grade to your riding temperatures. Use the oil that carries the correct rating (JASO MA/MA1/MA2, etc) and you should be OK.

As for the German oil in question - if their label is false then I'd also question what else on their data sheet is false. I would choose another reputable brand of engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back