Land Rover Evoque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one of these or have experience with them? Generally, I see good reviews, but it would be nice to hear some first hand experience.

Thanks in advance.

Haven't been into video games lately, but the most recent Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012) has them in it.

They are great for running away from the police and slightly faster than the Ford Raptor. Not quite as heavy for shoving people out of the way though..

I've never driven or owned a Land Rover, but I seem to recall something about their rather dubious long-term reliability. For me, it's British, and that says as much as I need to know. But it's certainly stylish as a "mobility accessory". Favored by many evidently well-off female Asian students in my college town. If you have a dealership close by, and don't intend to drive it past the end of the warranty, it might be OK.

Colleague has had one for atleast 2 years now, I have been in it a handful of times. Very smooth ride, luxury interior. Only thing that scares me is long-term reliability since land rover in general has been pretty poor recently.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Haven't been into video games lately, but the most recent Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012) has them in it.

They are great for running away from the police and slightly faster than the Ford Raptor. Not quite as heavy for shoving people out of the way though..

lmao

Last edited:
My daughter bought a used (34K miles) 2012 a few months ago. Looks kind of Space Age on the inside. Owned by an elderly gentleman, I put a new battery in it...THAT was a chore; oil filter can be exciting to get out, you need a transmission funnel to catch the overflow oil when you unscrew it so it drains into your pan instead of sll over 3 cooling system hoses. Cabin air filter is a little challenging but not bad, Youtube video kinda shows you about it on a Euro spec...just work from the passenger side on a US spec vehicle. Hers rides pretty good and has plenty of giddyup when you push the go fast pedal. Auto trans fluid change looks interesting; sealed unit very similar to a Toyoa when it comes to a level check. I lived in England for a few years and Rovers can be a challenge when they age, parts can get outrageous. My daughter likes it but I recommended she take care of it and trade it on another vehicle in 2-3 years while mileage is low and value is still there.

Last edited:
They're not as off road capable as a real Range Rover. Nice looking/performing for what they are.

My LR3 hasn't been low maintenance, but it's never stranded me and puts the biggest smile on my face. So, if you want an appliance look elsewhere, if you want something fun and great to drive, it'll serve you well.

Landrovers should be bought with a premium towing plan and rental car provided under the warranty terms. You WILL need it.

I had one as a rental once. Only had it a few days. It drove fine, but I didn't like the rear window, too small, but ok for regular driving. Also had the start/stop function which I found annoying initially but I guess most cars have that now. And yes, if you look at the reliability rankings, Land Rover is near the bottom.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Landrovers should be bought with a premium towing plan and rental car provided under the warranty terms. You WILL need it.

Have you over owned a Land Rover? He's asking for first hand experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

Did I claim to have a first hand experience? No but I can offer some advice based on the scores of owners on the Internet griping about the brand based on their experiences to help spare him of possible large expenses and regretting his decision can't I, or did I miss the Landrover rules section here at BITOG?

Last edited:

No, but he's read a bunch of rants on the internet, so it makes him an expert.
smile.gif

My advice would be go to some Land Rover Evoque specific forums and see what kind of problems they have, just so you know what to look for.

This forum is great for many things but not asking about vehicle reliability. You will get many answers saying "buy a Toyota" or "buy a Crown Vic" or "my friends brother owned a 6.0 PowerStroke and they are the most reliable on the planet".

Even if people respond saying they are/aren't reliable it doesn't really give you a good idea of why. An Evoque is a very different vehicle than say a Range Rover Supercharged, and will have different things to look out for.

How about close 2nd hand experience?

Good friend's Wife had a 2 door Evoque for ~100K miles and had very good luck with it. She used it for her business and put that on in 3 years. He and I both have previous generation RR Sports and his was great for the first 5 years or so, but got a bit pricey after that w/ some issues w/ the auto leveling suspension. Mine has been great, needing only some minor warranty work early on and brakes. The interiors and finish still look excellent.

Modern Land Rovers (say 2010+) are much better than the no so older ones, with the late 90's to early 2000's being much more problematic. That said even those are usually OK if maintained and are generally bashed by the experts who don't have direct experience with them.

Are they reliable appliances like Toyota/Honda, etc.? No, and given the relative volume, R&D spend, etc., they probably will never be. But you know that going in...

The Evoque is a great cross-over and 'soft roader'. I drove them a bit and my only complaint is visibility... Do your research, drive a few and if you like it and want one, buy one.

Me? I am looking at the new Discovery. Evoque is just a bit too small and I need more towing capacity.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif

Exactly!!!

I agree that Land Rover has gotten better in the past 10 years or so...the earlier ones were a lot more troublesome.

I would second reading the forums as well. The Evoques aren't as complicated as Discoveries and other Range Rovers. No air suspension, basic AWD system that's pretty much like any other cross over AWD system.

The people that generally want the hands off maintenance of a Toyota don't really care about what a Land Rover offers. Land Rover people would rather drive a Land Rover with a few issues than a Toyota anything. At least I would. Different crowds, nothing wrong with either.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif

Exactly!!!

I agree that Land Rover has gotten better in the past 10 years or so...the earlier ones were a lot more troublesome.

I would second reading the forums as well. The Evoques aren't as complicated as Discoveries and other Range Rovers. No air suspension, basic AWD system that's pretty much like any other cross over AWD system.

The people that generally want the hands off maintenance of a Toyota don't really care about what a Land Rover offers. Land Rover people would rather drive a Land Rover with a few issues than a Toyota anything. At least I would. Different crowds, nothing wrong with either.

QP did I say I was an expert? NO I didn't, I stated an opinion.

When you read common complaints, articles, news stories of denied warranty coverage etc. a pattern emerges. You know the same opinion you form when you do research to buy a new vehicle before even thinking about it. I guess that is different though.

Secondly this whole site is about the same thing so??????

Last edited:
Surveys are useful but with the caveat that most people that respond to them have a bone to pick. So you're more likely to hear about all the bad ones and the happy ones are usually quiet. That's where forums help for a specific vehicle. They let you zone in on specific issues and avoid rash generalizations like "All Land Rovers are unreliable garbage". They're not. Believe it or not, some people actually enjoy them and have good experiences.

Last edited:
I spent some time helping a friend try to bring a mid-2000s LR back to life. It's not something I would ever take on myself.

Handled well. Loved the styling. quirky but cool. Leaked everywhere. engine access was ridiculously tight. lots of complex systems to deal with, like suspension hydraulics. parts were not as common, but not difficult, either to source; just fewer options. Some of them cost. In the end, he gave up on it and sold it at a loss. driveline vibrations neither one of us could figure out - all shafts balanced, all gears checked out, but it'd rattle your brains at 65. And as soon as he'd get one thing fixed, something else would let go.

-M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back