What is this pipe for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased my 1959 rancher about 3 months ago, I had noticed this pipe coming out of the back of the house early on, but am not really sure what it is or what is would be used for. Does anybody know? I am not referring the the long pipe laying on the ground, but the one that is capped off coming out of the back of the foundation.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I would guess it is a cleanout point.

+1, drain cleanout.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Mouse subway

lol.gif

What's the pipe laying on the ground for? New houses typically have 2-4" diameter pic pipes coming out the side

My house was built in 55 and had a gasline running through wall which used to fuel a natural gas air conditioner compressor/condenser. I think those went out of style not too long after.

I'm thinking maybe there was once an oil tank there for an oil furnace, and thats where the line went through the foundation.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm thinking maybe there was once an oil tank there for an oil furnace, and thats where the line went through the foundation.

That's what I was thinking too, but figured the FL thing and typical lack of a basement axed that.

Could be to an old HVAC system. My grandparent's house was built in 1950and it had a furnace at the end of the hallway. You can see where the gas line and chimney stack used to be. It's all outside now.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Congratulations on the purchase of your home. ... I'm happy for you
smile.gif

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
What's the pipe laying on the ground for? New houses typically have 2-4" diameter pic pipes coming out the side

It's an old cast iron pipe. Not sure what it went too, but it doesn't look damaged so I am not sure why it would have been removed.

Cast iron is the pre-cursor to PVC. Bell joints packed with oakum and sealed with lead. Galvy is fresh water supply and black iron is gas. If the roof is trusses it may have been sold by my uncle. He brought roof trusses to FL in the early '50s. Good luck with the house. I've been fixing and up-dating my 130 yr old farmhouse stick by stick for 40 yrs.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
.... natural gas air conditioner compressor/condenser. I think those went out of style not too long after.

Those were big in Texas back in the 70's (Maybe even 60's?)

Very troublesome and NOT fuel efficient at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back