Storing Ethanol Free Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every November I buy 15 gallons of ethanol free gas and store it in Eagle Safety Cans with PRI G stabilizer. I keep the gas all winter in case I need to run my generator. I use the gas for mowing in the spring and summer and buy more in November. Given that Eagle cans are air tight and the gas is ethanol free, do I even need stabilizer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think PRI-G over hypes their products.

Blue StaBil is a great stabilizer and has a good amount of fuel cleaner.

The stabilizer is cheap enough per gallon of gas. I use stabilized E0 gas year round in OPE.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Assuming you buy it when it's fresh, premium gas doesn't oxidize as fast as 87 octane.

Source?

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think PRI-G over hypes their products.

Blue StaBil is a great stabilizer and has a good amount of fuel cleaner.

The stabilizer is cheap enough per gallon of gas. I use stabilized E0 gas year round in OPE.

2x on blue Sta-Bil and E0 gas year round in all my OPE

I do the same thing Oldtom. Same cans and all.

Those eagle cans can really hold vapor pressure! I think the mostly airtight environment helps the gas to stay stable.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
do I even need stabilizer?

Probably not. Winter cold is easy on gas.

All through the 60's and 70's we had no ethanol gas, and all our OPE never had any carb gumming issues EVER.

My local E-0 smells just like Avgas. AvGas NEVER goes bad.

Here in the north I don't use stabilizers for any fuel. I leave up to 20 gallons of E-10 fuel in plastic fuel containers unheated from October to May. Never had a problem with the fuel in the spring. Still smells fresh and burns just fine in my equipment. Pretty sure the cold temps help preserve it.

I'd probably think/do different in constant warm temperatures.

In the OP's situation I wouldn't bother adding anything to the fuel.

Sure you had gummed up carbs in 60-70s. Maybe less, but the stability has little to do with ethanol but more to do with cracked gasoline vs distilled gasoline. Gasoline oxidize and cracked fuel oxidize quicker/more. Ethanol does not itself oxidize in gas or leave ant residue or form laquer.
What it may do is absorb water over time and separate which may be cortosive (the water) which may harm say alumium parts. It will also solve some residue and the dirt may cause problems until clean.
I am almost certain that stabilizers were used as far back as ww2, so it is not because of ethanol specifically.
So, to protect fuel you would add stabil to reduce -oxidization- then you would store it in an air tight can to avoid moisture to foul the fuel. This works for gas and E fuel.
So remember, you need to adress TWO processes to conserve fuel, not just one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back