Amsoil SS 5w30 new formulation VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you might be interested in this. Looks like they finally got rig of the calcium and greatly increased magnesium content. Although I'm really disappointed in TBN...9 as opposed to 12.5
claimed.

Thanks for sharing!

I thought Amsoil might go with a big dose of ZDDP to help quench LSPI, obviously that is not the case.
For those who haven't been following the relevant discussion, Amsoil is advertising this oil and some others as passing the dexos1 Gen 2 LSPI tests without being compliant to the overall spec (they mention online that their SA levels are too high for that).

I'm really surprised with TBN. called the lab and they will be re-running for TBN. Also, forgot to mention, that Amsoil claims 1.2 for sulfated ash.

Looks very similar to Mobil 1/Castrol. Probably an Infineum additive system. Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

I guess the difference will be the base oil - amsoil is still using POA/ester. Looks good to me with exception of "low" TBN

Hope there is a mistake in the TBN reading. 9.01 is a far cry from 12.5 stated in their PDS.

Thanks for sending this in for the VOA. I just changed my oil with bottles of the new formula in both 0w-20 and 5w-30 and was going to send in for a sample for a VOA but haven't got around to it yet.

Isn't this relatively "thIn" at 100C for any 30-weight, let alone an Amsoil product?

And the reduced TBN could go hand-in-globe with lower calcium.

More silicon than some UOAs. Odd.

Wonder how the sample earned the "4 Critical" rating?

Quite middle of the road for viscosity (10.4 cSt). I'd have figured Amsoil is always up near the upper limits of the grade. Mobil 1 5w-30 is up at 11.1. 10.4 is more like PP/QSUD.

Reduces Calcium by 2330 ppm (-63%)....adds in aprox 1,000 ppm Mg to counter. The days of "big calcium" seem numbered. More SOPUS oil clearances to come.

Thanks for sharing, OP.

As has been stated, LSPI in DIT, T-GDI etc., has influenced the entire industry and the oil companies have been listening. I wonder if the Conventional oils will see the same reformulation.

you are welcome. I actually still waiting for 0w20 results as well. they got it all tested with exception of TBN - as lab tech said all elements are about the same as 5w30 and vis is 8.7.

As far as the TBN goes, I raised my concern with the lab and they will re-run the test. I'll update y'all once I hear back from them

They flagged it due to different values they are seeing compared to old formula. That's why they ran all the tests twice just to make sure. As per lab tech they haven't had any input from Amsoil on their new formula yet

Amsoil no longer says WHAT base oils they are using + NO longer touts PAO!!! they only say its formulated to meet the spec aka were using mostly cheaper Group III like most everyone else + adding PAO + or Ester as needed!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not trying to drum up an argument here but this is another example of Amsoil following what Mobil and Castrol have had out for about 5 years now. Different base oil composition but you can see how Amsoil operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back