Tonneau cover and tailgate spoilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
Does using a tonneau cover negate the function of a tailgate spoiler on pickup trucks? Tailgate spoilers are becoming common as carmakers integrate them into the bodywork (see new Tacoma and F150) vs an ordinary tailgate spoiler cap like on early Silverados.

I currently have a soft top tonneau on my Silverado with a regular tailgate cap that is coming off (only held by adhesive.) Later models used a spoiler cap which is secured to the tailgate using "riv-nuts" which I'm planning to replace it with.

Last edited:
They sell a much smaller piece of plastic that goes over the tailgate in lieu of the OEM plastic. That is what some tonneau covers need to sit flush.

BTW-the part you are referring too can be had a little cheaper aftermarket-if you want the same piece.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What do tail gate spoilers actually do?

As far as I can tell they just protect the top of the tailgate from being scratched if you load something that extends beyond the bed of the truck-and you keep the tailgate closed.

Strictly looks,
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83

Strictly looks,
cheers3.gif

I think they may actually do something for fuel economy. I mean, maybe .5mpg but still. My Frontier should have come with one, but had a hard tonneau installed so it had the flatter "cap" style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back