Weapons light and range time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than during dedicated "Im training with my light" range time, do you leave your weapons light in place during training? I can see a couple of arguments either way, but I guess the big one for me is being used to it in place vs high round count causing failure...

Specifically, I'm running a Streamlight Polytac LED (88850) on a 5.56 carbine.

I keep my light attached all the time. I figure any decent light shouldn't fail regardless of number of rounds. So if it does fail after some training or range time, I'll know not to buy that one again.

On my long guns, they stay on all the time. On my pistols, I only leave one on all the time because I was able to get the flashlight to sit behind the muzzle. If any part of the flashlight sticks past the muzzle, it will get all cruded up with soot, carbon and lead fouling. Coating the lens and body of the flash light with chapstick or grease will prevent the build-up but I think that is a hassle.

Originally Posted By: buck91

A dedicated weapon light has springs on both ends of the batteries. The springs act as shock absorbers for the batteries during recoil. I personally wont use a flashlight that doesn't have springs on both ends. Its a $40 flashlight, so if you kill it, its not a big deal.

Might want to look at getting a better light. The Streamlight Rail Mount or TLR1 can be found in the $100 range. A Malkoff MD2 would likely fit in your same mount and is a bulletproof light, also about $100.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: buck91

A dedicated weapon light has springs on both ends of the batteries. The springs act as shock absorbers for the batteries during recoil. I personally wont use a flashlight that doesn't have springs on both ends. Its a $40 flashlight, so if you kill it, its not a big deal.

Might want to look at getting a better light. The Streamlight Rail Mount or TLR1 can be found in the $100 range. A Malkoff MD2 would likely fit in your same mount and is a bulletproof light, also about $100.

I know the PT is only a $40 light but it seems to be well reputed. Lifetime warranty, weapons rated, sprung on both terminals. Not to mention a pretty top notch company (ie: all of our lights at the FD are Streamlight...currently). Sure, it lacks some of the "feel" of higher end lights but I'm not convinced its "just a $40 light" so to speak.

Anyways, sounds like its worth leaving it on if for no other reason than to test out the durability.

Yes, although its a different setup than a P60 host or other SF lights. The positive terminal spring is actually a spring loaded button, although the pill is also sprung to the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back