Wix 51036XP 4100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off my suburban. Started getting some lifter tick on cold starts a while back. I've changed the oil about 3 times in the past 5600 miles. The first made it 500 before the tick came back the second made it 1000. This one was 4100 but I drained and added a quart at 1000 and 2000 miles. With 200k on the clock I'm ok with a tick or two but she would sometimes tick for minutes
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: BigJakeChevy
Could the engine be in need of a rocker arm lash adjustment?

I don't think so truck is normally quiet and smooth.

Originally Posted By: car51
Filter looks like it did job well. Thanks for c&p sir:)

Yes that's what I think too.

Originally Posted By: John_VT

Off my suburban. Started getting some lifter tick on cold starts a while back. I've changed the oil about 3 times in the past 5600 miles. The first made it 500 before the tick came back the second made it 1000. This one was 4100 but I drained and added a quart at 1000 and 2000 miles. With 200k on the clock I'm ok with a tick or two but she would sometimes tick for minutes
eek.gif

What kind of oil and weight were you using to do all these changes? At your OIC what did you put back in?

Originally Posted By: FlyingVan
If it ticks for minutes after start up you have other things going on besides a leaking ADBV in the oil filter.

+1 ... with 200K miles, could be a few hydraulic lifters are leaking down if it sits for awhile.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

+1 ... with 200K miles, could be a few hydraulic lifters are leaking down if it sits for awhile.

I should also say that I bought the truck with iirc 165ish k. With unknown history
That is what I think is happening but why? I feel like ive seen some idk what sludge? Come out when during oil changes. Makes me think that a lil crud is not letting a lifter or two seal.

As to what was used for oil. Don't think less of me but most of all the previous OC were just a speedy lube
whistle.gif
I do all other maintenance. So this spring the trans went and I had just redone the fuel system about a month earlier tank, lines ,fill neck,sending unit,rear brake line. And few months before that I did all new brakes cut out some rust new patch panels some paint clear coat

Gold doesn't quite match o well. So after getting a new trans in when we started it was the first time it "ticked" it was due for an oil change so I went to speedy lube. So the 500 oci was speedy lube 5w30 conventional. The 1000 mile was castrol edge 5/30hm with a fram ultra . The 4100 started with castrol edge 10/30hm accidentally grabbed it not a big deal and the wix xp. But I did drain a quart like I mentioned and added 5/30 edge or miles sb 5/30. I put in for this oci was mostly edge 5/30 and some miles sb 5/30

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I should also say that I bought the truck with iirc 165ish k. With unknown history
That is what I think is happening but why? I feel like ive seen some idk what sludge? Come out when during oil changes. Makes me think that a lil crud is not letting a lifter or two seal.

Might want to try the Seafoam treatment in the oil like this guy did who claims it cured his noisy lifters.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
What's the cat's name?

DENSO
lol.gif

eek.gif

Check the exhaust manifolds. They like to break off bolts and crack. The ticking sounds just like valve train issues.

I get a mild knock on mine when I start it up after sitting a while but nothing to worry about. The small block chevies are always kinda noisy in one way or another.

Now that was funny.

Instead of, "here kitty, kitty, kitty".
It is " here DENSO, DENSO, DENSO".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back