Tools of the Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I just wanted some pointers for entering the auto tech field.
Starting with where you could get away with skimping and where you need to spend more. A top 10-15 tools would also be helpful.
Example: # Drill bit (Skimp)
Also, do most people prefer the ergonomic Snap-On ratchets or chrome-handled ones? I would also like to know if the weaker handle will imply a lesser warranty.
Thanks

Last edited:
The stuff you use most often, ie turning gear, needs to be good.

Stuff you don't use every day, buy cheap. If it breaks buy better.

That way you don't waste money on good quality stuff you're not gong to use and all the stuff you do use is good.

Or give your wife and kids and house to the snap-on man, and have good quality tools throughout.

Also remember that some tools "walk away" (get borrowed and never returned or stolen from others). I'd prefer to lose a cheap tool or wrench then to spend a fortune on something you need to replace.

Do your homework on what you need to buy. There is a lot of harbor freight bashing, but they do have some reasonable stuff you could start with.

Other options are to look online Craigslist etc. for buying used tools that aren't cheap Chinese junk.

Last edited:
What type of shop are you starting out at and do you expect any specialization? A wheel, brake and alignment guys top 15 isn’t going to be the same as the drivability guys top 15.

Are you planning to attend a trade school (they may have both a required tool list and a discount program)?

I generally don’t care for ergonomic handled ratchets, they are harder to clean and the handles tend to come off or get damaged.

I would buy the best I could afford in ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers (of all types) and drill bits at the very least.

I agree buy quality of the stuff you will use all the time and skimp or buy as needed the stuff you don't need.

That said my dad is a big Snap-On fan. He has been in the mechanic trade almost 50 years and still has some of his original sockets and most of his ratchets and wrenches are 30-40 years old. (Chrome type)

Last edited:
Don't skimp on drill bits!!!

I'm not a professional mechanic (my family thinks otherwise, their cars are at my "garage" every weekend), but I think it's best to start out with whatever brand is close by that offers warranty replacement. For me, it would be Kobalt at Lowes. That being said, most of my tools come from Harbor Freight
banana2.gif
and I don't break them often.

Again, I'm not doing it for a living but I don't think you need to sink a fortune into tools right from the start. Find out what you use the most with the "cheap stuff" and upgrade as your career requires.

You want good hand tools. Nothing worse than a wrench or socket that slips and causes pain or more work. Snap on is the best here. But Mac and Cornwell are good too.

Is the shop going to supply a scanner? If so you can skimp and just buy a cheap code reader.

Air tools...Harbor freights Earthquake line work well. Same with the big HF tool boxes.

Try and buy second hand. I bought my Cornwell 4150 for $40 and my SnapOn long patterns for $110. General rule is to not skimp on hand tools and impacts. They are your workhorses.

Wrenches
Air Impacts
Screwdrivers
Pliers
DVOM
Scanners
3/8ths Ratchets and Sockets. (Craftsman is fine for 1/4 and 1/2)

Skimp everywhere else. Harbor freight is only good for tool boxes, latex gloves and abrasives. I'd avoid anything else they sell.

Don't fall for toolboxes. That is the biggest and most idiotic purchase you could make.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Try and buy second hand. I bought my Cornwell 4150 for $40 and my SnapOn long patterns for $110. General rule is to not skimp on hand tools and impacts. They are your workhorses.

Wrenches
Air Impacts
Screwdrivers
Pliers
DVOM
Scanners
3/8ths Ratchets and Sockets. (Craftsman is fine for 1/4 and 1/2)

Skimp everywhere else. Harbor freight is only good for tool boxes, latex gloves and abrasives. I'd avoid anything else they sell.

Don't fall for toolboxes. That is the biggest and most idiotic purchase you could make.
imo HF air tools are great! I use the snot out of my air cut off wheel and earthquake impact gun. Both have worked well for many years.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot to include wrenches in my buy the best you can afford list.

Tool boxes don’t make you any money if you can get a nice trade in off a tool truck or used for reasonable money fine, other wise USGeneral (the orange/red ones) from harbor freight will do fine. You only need it to be large enough to organize your tools so they are easy to find and have a place.

Without some trade school or significant work experience and ASE certs, I expect you are going to have issues breaking into the Automotive Technician field in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the foam handle ratchets. The foam WILL break down after a while.

Snap On: Sockets, wrenches and ratchets. Can often get the sockets on sale, or they include extension sets. Watch the monthly flyers.

When I was starting out as a Mechanic, I was told: "Buy once, cry once". So I went with pretty much all Snap-On. At the time I wondered if such an investment was prudent. They served me well for the years I worked as a Master Tech on consumer vehicles. I still have those tools, and don't regret their purchase now.

You will eventually be an old guy like many here. I'm 63 and still have some of the tools I bought as an apprentice. The quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten and anyway the feeling of using a tool you have owned for that long is priceless. They are like old friends.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Also remember that some tools "walk away" (get borrowed and never returned or stolen from others). I'd prefer to lose a cheap tool or wrench then to spend a fortune on something you need to replace.

Do your homework on what you need to buy. There is a lot of harbor freight bashing, but they do have some reasonable stuff you could start with.

Other options are to look online Craigslist etc. for buying used tools that aren't cheap Chinese junk.
You got that right. Tools have legs and will disappear if you turn your back for thirty seconds. At our power plant handcarts were the big thing. Especially if we had contractors on site. You could chain them to the nearest pipe or equipment and they would still disappear. Our plant manager had more than one fit over the number of purchase orders he saw for handcart. He also liked to give sermonettes on how he had equipped every pickup in Moffat county with chokers and jacks. And it was true.

I am currently in a two year auto tech course and I can get 51-61% off almost any tool I would want with Snap-On and Matco. So that means that I can get new tools cheaper than used ones in most cases, but I really want to know if I need to replace the sockets and ratchets I have already. I have one of those big 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" mechanics sets with 149 pieces. I just don't know how well they will stand up in the field though. I don't think I will be getting a job at a dealership anytime soon as an auto tech, but I have been looking into lube tech jobs. I am also required to have work experience at a GM or Honda dealer if I decide to take one of those courses on top of my auto tech course. So I kind of have to figure this out before I miss out on the chance to get that discount and certification course. I mean, like $74 for almost any Snap-On ratchet with tax and all included.

Originally Posted By: barryh
You will eventually be an old guy like many here. I'm 63 and still have some of the tools I bought as an apprentice. The quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten and anyway the feeling of using a tool you have owned for that long is priceless. They are like old friends.

Same here, but a year older. Back when we bought those tools, in the trade we could only buy quality, low quality tools were in the hardware store, not the trade only supplier. Now we can buy all sorts of weird non name brand tools...Teng, Toptool, SP etc, and I'd be pretty happy with those brands rather than the extra premium of big names. Love my Teng plastic handle ratchet.

I have a Snap-On ergo ratchet and it has a hard plastic handle, not foam. It held up well to my abuse until my German Shepherd puppy teethed on it. I got a replacement handle but it was expensive for what it was (I think 20 bucks); it just pushes on. I also have a Series 80 (I think that's what they're called) newer ratchet w/all metal handle and it works well too but I prefer the ergo. I have a mix of decent American made and Snap-On tools and I get the 10mm, 13mm, 15mm 7mm and 8mm from the tool truck because I use them most often. My Harley uses a PITA SAE for everything allen set and oddball torx sizes (like 27mm) and 12 point metric for the brakes. I have good quality tools for this application also because tool marks on a motorcycle look bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MathewC
I am currently in a two year auto tech course and I can get 51-61% off almost any tool I would want with Snap-On and Matco. So that means that I can get new tools cheaper than used ones in most cases, but I really want to know if I need to replace the sockets and ratchets I have already. I have one of those big 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" mechanics sets with 149 pieces. I just don't know how well they will stand up in the field though. I don't think I will be getting a job at a dealership anytime soon as an auto tech, but I have been looking into lube tech jobs. I am also required to have work experience at a GM or Honda dealer if I decide to take one of those courses on top of my auto tech course. So I kind of have to figure this out before I miss out on the chance to get that discount and certification course. I mean, like $74 for almost any Snap-On ratchet with tax and all included.

90% of automotive technicians never make it past 5 years in the field & they end up selling off all their tools for 20% of what they paid.

The best advice I can give is......Slow down & use the tools you have!
The BEST tool you have is between you ears....Hone that first, Good tools can be bought later on AFTER you get a few years of real world experience under your belt. I promise you that the courses your taking are NOT preparing you for what's to come.

Off my soapbox & onto your question.....
I like plain chrome handled ratchets, The Snap-On dual 80's are nice....I've been abusing mine for a few years now. I have a Bent long flex head & Long flex head 3/8" drive, Regular & Long flex head 1/4" drive.....I also have a Long flex head 1/4" bodied ratchet with a 3/8" drive that I use with my tap sockets.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

The best advice I can give is......Slow down & use the tools you have!
lol I still have and still use sockets that I bought 15 years ago when I was in tech school. They are made in Taiwan ACDelco I don't remember how many pieces their were. It had 1/4 & 3/8 drive, 12 & 6 point, shallow and deep, std. & metric, 1/2" drive 12 point, shallow, std. & metric, combination wrenches, allen keys, screwdrivers, torx drivers, and a 2 piece tool box. It was $149 for everything. I have lost lots of pieces over the years, but the only socket out of that set that has broken was the 3/8" drive 7mm. A coworker borrowed it and didn't tell me until after he broke it that he had just broken his Snap on 7mm on the same bolt. I still use a lot of those sockets daily, most of the time with my Makita impact driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back