Tank of e85 vs bottle of Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically, ethanol based fuel injector cleaners were removed from the market because they were determined to be corrosive for some metals, including Aluminum. Techron concentrate (with PEA) contains no ethanol, cleans and protects against ethanol corrosion and the buildup of sulfur. This concern is mainly for "older" engines, new engines are designed around E85, winter summer blends, etc. So I guess it depends on the age of the engine, whether or not to use a PEA product.

This is funny. Here in the performance world, we use regular gas to clean the gunk and goo that e85 leaves in and on the injector nozzle bodies. The e85 isnt doing as much cleaning as it is breaking down the rubber lines and corroding bare aluminum(fuel rail.)

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Cleaning up what? Valves/Combustion Chamber/Injectors All of it?

Is it direct injected or not?

Port injected flex fuel V6. I believe the fuel rail is stainless steel

Last edited:
might want to try K100 MG+ http://k-100.com

the stuff does wonders for powersports, motorcycles, marine, and OPE; it is my preferred stuff to store with...easy ignition the following season; it was designed as a medium duty cleaning formula which showed other benefits during testing; stabilizing for 1-2 years, octane increase of 1.5-2 points; encapsulization of water molecules allowing ignition without negative effects; not a snake oil yet does alot for burners of ethanol blended gasoline!

Last edited:
Ive been thinking of going to a local place and filling up my 5 gal gas can with e85 and experimenting with it in my prius and sienna. The sienna recommends premium for performance but I don't like paying that price tag so I was thinking adding 5 gallons of e85 to 15 gallons gas might work instead.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Ive been thinking of going to a local place and filling up my 5 gal gas can with e85 and experimenting with it in my prius and sienna.

No gas can required - the pump has a meter on it.

My 1996 Mustang 4.6 always pinged horribly on 87 E-10,
so I always added 4-5 gallons of E-85 at fill up (~25-30%)

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Ive been thinking of going to a local place and filling up my 5 gal gas can with e85 and experimenting with it in my prius and sienna.

No gas can required - the pump has a meter on it.

My 1996 Mustang 4.6 always pinged horribly on 87 E-10,
so I always added 4-5 gallons of E-85 at fill up (~25-30%)

Why wouldn't you just use 89 or 91/93? Or even mix them? I know my 96 has never been listed as flex fuel! Now, might not be problematic but I doubt its ideal.

I wish I would have took a video of my piston tops before I started running E85 in my 2002 Silverado 5.3. It would be interesting to see if it cleans at all. I know it burns cleaner, but does it clean as well. Been using it at a 50/50 mix, 50% E85 and 50% 93. For over a year now. The truck loves it, at least it seems to.

I'm going to fill up with e85 today because I want to see what the car does with it. I thought that the e85 was considered good for cleaning up carbon. Guess not

What kind of question is this? Many manufacturers including BMW and hyundai/Kia require techron or similar additives as part of their maintenance program. If e85 worked better don't u think someone would have noted that by now? Techron is specifically formulated and tested for this.

Originally Posted By: buck91

Why wouldn't you just use 89 or 91/93? Or even mix them? I know my 96 has never been listed as flex fuel! Now, might not be problematic but I doubt its ideal.

Probably because 92 octane is $0.65 a gallon more expensive than 87 octane,

.....and E85 is $0.50 a gallon LESS than 87....

....no rocket scientist degree required to do that math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back